Recommend HDMI switch for HDCP issues?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by hooper, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I have my Premiere hooked up to an LG TV via HDMI. When the TV is turned off, the HDCP connection seems to break (sometimes). Can anyone recommend an HDMI switch that they have used to get around this issue, so that I can still consistently view the output from the Tivo over component when the TV is off?

Since the cables are run through the wall, I can't very easily swap out the HDMI cable for component + audio cables.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Does your TV have another HDMI port you can use instead? Sometimes using the primary HDMI port will have that affect on the Tivo.

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Does your LG TV have a fast-startup mode? That might keep the HDMI port active enough for the TiVo, while a slow-startup power-saving mode might completely remove power from the HDMI port. I'm guessing here, but it might be worth a try.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Just try a MonoPrice HDMI switch. They are inexpensive so if it doesn't make a difference then you won't be out much money. Just get a powered one so that it is always sending a signal, maybe that will help.
    I don't know since I've never runt into that problem with HDMI from any of my HDMI devices.

5. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I don't know what the deal is. The component output works like 90% of the time on the Premiere with the TV off. It worked 100% with the Tivo HD. Maybe power outages/software updates cause the problem. If I turn the TV on and off the component output works again. Not much of a help when I am out of town and can't turn the tv on.

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If power outages are a factor, you could try using a UPS. Your TiVo really should be on a UPS anyway, and if you get a big enough model, you could also put the TV on it. (I'm assuming that the TV isn't too power-hungry.)

7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I have an LG TV with a similar issue -- I want to be able to use the HDMI cable to the TV *and* composite out to a DVD recorder at the same time.. but when the TV's not on the HDMI input, it thinks HDCP is disabled.

So if you end up finding a solution, that would solve my issue too.

(I usually go through my DVD recorder -- but want the ability to use the other TV's inputs too -- esp if I'm recording something on the DVD recorder at that point.. I'm not recording HD the vast majority of the time, so it's no big deal as far as picture quality..)