Recommend a D-Link Router?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jak1982, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jak1982

jak1982 New Member

Apr 1, 2007

Advertisements

Hello everyone.

I just bought a Tivo Series2... I was a Tivo customer "back in the day" before I switched to Dish Network and settled with their PVR. However, I just moved to a new townhouse and went with cable since I'd be using them for the internet.

My question is this... can anyone recommend a D-Link wireless router to purchase? I need it to be D-Link as with software I use ends up having problems with Linksys routers (I still use AOL for my e-mail and AOL 9.0 and Linksys seem to hate each other from my experience). D-Link has worked fine for me but before I bought one, I wondered if anyone was already using one with their Tivo and I'd most likely then buy that one.

I'll also have to get a USB wireless hookup for the Tivo as well, but step 1 shall be the router. Thanks for any suggestions! :)

2. snowjay

snowjay 40mph couch potato

Mar 26, 2007
    Almost in...
  3. dcahoe

dcahoe TiVoPlayList Author

Jan 28, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    D-Link DI-524 or DI-624 routers work just fine also. I use the DI-624 with no problems and believe it is very similar to but has more features than the DI-524.

4. jak1982

jak1982 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Thanks for the info. I had been looking at both the DI-624 and 634M. 624 is cheaper so I will probably go with it. The only things in the house using the wireless would be the Tivo and the Nintendo Wii.

Do most people use the Tivo branded wireless adaptor or can I go with something cheaper?

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003

Advertisements

You can get something cheaper if you want so long as it's on the Tivo supported list -BUT- a number of users (myself included) have reported much better performance with the Tivo-branded adapters. IMO the Tivo wireless-Gs are worth every penny.

With the Tivo wireless Gs, I can transfer a show between Tivos, watch the transferred show as it is being transferred, and be able to skip commercials and still finish the transfer well before the show finishes (it seems to transfer a "Medium" quality show in about 0.5x its runtime). Before switching to the Tivo adapters, (ie while I was using "something cheaper"), the same transfer took at least 2x runtime.

6. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I've had problems with the firewall in the 524. If for any reason someone tries to hammer your IP address, the router pretty much slows to a crawl and you cannot access the internal webpage. At least for me anyways. I switched to a Netgear and haven't had a problem. I can't remember the model off hand. The 524 now works great as an AP at my office.

7. JM1

JM1 New Member

Jul 22, 2006
  8. jak1982

jak1982 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Thanks again for the info everyone! I ended up purchasing the D-Link DI-624 and the Tivo branded wireless adaptor. Once the cable and net is installed next week into the townhouse, I should be good to go.

9. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    I'm curious! Specifically, what software are you having a problem with while using a Linksys router???

10. jak1982

jak1982 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    AOL 9.0 SE / VR

I know most say "AOL sucks get rid of it!" but I've had my AOL e-mail for a bajillion years and I actually prefer its e-mail client to check the e-mail. Odd, I know!

When it happened I Googled AOL 9.0 and whichever Linksys model I had and there was a lot of people having issues. I switched to D-Link only because I had a D-Link router before Linksys and it worked with the AOL software.

Not really sure why but what would happen, IIRC, is if I would open up the AOL client it would crash the internet or make everything run super-slow. Doesn't happen now with the D-Link.

11. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    I've got the 624.....works flawlessly.

12. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Replaced the flaky Linksys WRT54G with the DI-624S on this network a year ago, no regrets so far.
    Be sure to download and install the latest firmware, and read up on wireless security.