1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recomended Bolt Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by rick123, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1 of 129
    rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Just bought a 500GB Bolt w/ Lifetime (TiVo "Whiteout" event, $450 total) to replace my Premiere Elite. Planning to replace the 500GB HD with a larger (2-3 GB) one prior to putting the unit in service.

I thought there might be a sticky with this info, but there wasn't and I also looked thru the posts in the Upgrade Center back thru summer 2015 and didn't find much help.

Are there 2-3 GB hard drives that are recommended specifically for Bolt model upgrades? Back in the "old days" I seem to remember there were some recommended drives and some that were known not to work with the older models. Are there specific 2.5 inch AV/DVR drives that people are using?

Not looking for anything over 3GB, just looking for something that has been reliable for others so I know I'm not gonna have compatibility issues.

Also, I have not done a hard drive upgrade on a Bolt or Roamio, is it correct that I just swap in the new drive and it will auto format and be good to go? That's just too good if true! (Edit... Is True!)

Thank you Tivo Community!

PS. If your looking for a gently used 2GB Premiere Elite with an opening $1 bid I'll have it on Ebay in a few weeks...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    johnm4 likes this.
  2. Nov 23, 2016 #2 of 129
    rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Apparently there are no Community recommendations in this area, so here are some 2.5 inch hard drives listed on Amazon that have user comments stating that the HD was successfully installed into a TiVo Bolt:

1. Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST2000LM007) (I ordered this one and will report on results...)

2. Seagate 3TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST3000LM016) (One of the comments said "I had to move things around a bit...)

3. Seagate 2TB Laptop HDD SATA III 2.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive 9.5MM (ST2000LM003) (Successful comment and recommended in a "ZatsNotFunny" article...)

These are the only HDs I could find sold on Amazon that had user comments related to a TiVo Bolt upgrade. If you know of other HDs that work with the Bolt please post them in this thread to help others.

Here is a link to a YouTube video that shows a Bolt HD upgrade. The guy stumbles thru some of the upgrade but you get to see the basics of the procedure...

3. Nov 23, 2016 #3 of 129
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    i tell you I'm not encouraged by some of the recent concern over the Seagate firmware issues and now some failures.
    I'm heavily leaning to the Toshiba mq03abb300 since I have yet to see anyone say anything negative about it and it's not that much more expensive (and has a better warranty)

inthewoods likes this.
  4. Nov 28, 2016 #4 of 129
  5. Nov 28, 2016 #5 of 129
    rick123

rick123 Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Thanks, Bolt arrived today, have the 2TB HD, will report when mission complete:)

Don't know why you would buy an enclosed 2.5 drive to take apart when you can just buy a bare one?

6. Nov 28, 2016 #6 of 129
    MacGuruTX

MacGuruTX Member

Sep 19, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Cost Ratio. Seagate will historically have dirt cheap prices on some of their "backup" external hard drives.
    The one that is mentioned is a 4tb for $109 (11/28/2016)
    Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 4TB Portable External Hard Drive with 200GB of Cloud Storage USB 3.0 Black (STDR4000100): Computers & Accessories

I've heard allegations in the past that Seagate might be using slower drives in these backup units (or which had higher bad sectors) that didn't meet spec, but I'm not sure if there is any factual validation of that allegation.

7. Nov 28, 2016 #7 of 129
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I gave up and went with the Toshiba mq03abb300, the potential Seagate issues floating around did not instill me with confidence.
    I got the Bolt today and expect the drive in a few days.

8. Nov 28, 2016 #8 of 129
    ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    The drives in those Seagate externals have since failed for everyone except one user who lucked into a pair with the version 1 firmware. Even most of the 3TB, 2.5" drives use SMR technology and will blow up in a few months under continuous use.

For anything over 2TB in a Bolt, I'd modify the case and go with and external 3.5" drive.

9. Dec 1, 2016 #9 of 129
    Mad Davey

Mad Davey New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Being new to Bolt and after reading up a bit, I want a reliable drive.

So if I keep it under 2tb in a 2.5", what drive is the most reliable?

The Bolt+ seems like it must have a 3tb drive, does anyone know the make and model of that drive?

If I go with an external 3.5" drive for reliability, can I use the drive power from TiVo or should I power it externally? I can think of reasons to go either way on this.

After some reading on 3.5" drives it seems the western digital reds are the best reliability for larger capacity drives, does this seem right?

Thanks!

10. Dec 1, 2016 #10 of 129
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    The Bolt+ uses the WD Blue WD30NPRZ. I don't think they are available to the general public yet.

The Reds are my first choice right now.

11. Dec 1, 2016 #11 of 129
    Mad Davey

Mad Davey New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Thanks, I see memory for less selling a refurbished WD30NPRZ for $338, the price seems out of line. The Toshiba MQ03ABB300 seems like the best bet. Someone on the forum mentioned it's better to do the procedure required for larger drives to align something, is there any merit to this or should I just throw it in there after the box updates and be done?

12. Dec 1, 2016 #12 of 129
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    You should be fine with the 3TB Toshiba and just dropping it in, mine is showing up today or tomorrow so I'll be installing over the weekend if you want a testimonial.

13. Dec 1, 2016 #13 of 129
    Mad Davey

Mad Davey New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Thanks Diane,
    My understanding is the bolt might not format over 2tb until it takes the update/s. That alone may be good reason to bless the drive in a pc first.

Ok so here is the scenario, I got my bolt, I called Comcast to get it working, this took a number of calls and different cable cards, my past experiences with three previous TiVo's were the same. I get it working stock first, once it works I use it for a few days hoping it takes updates and to verify it works and doesn't have to go back to TiVo. My first bolt unit is currently on it's way back due to a known error that they are working on that does not allow the apps like Netflix to load. Now I have to repeat the previous steps with the replacement unit. Once it updates and works 100% for a week or so, then I will change the drive, at which time I believe I would have to call Comcast again since the hardware changed. It is already proving very time consuming, I need better hobbies.

14. Dec 1, 2016 #14 of 129
    ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Comcast has a web interface for pairing CableCARDs now.

Welcome Page

Bolts came out after the 2TB limit was fixed, but it's probably worth a few hours to let it update anyway. If there's a problem with the unit straight out of the box you don't want the first call home it makes to log the drive swap in their database.

15. Dec 1, 2016 #15 of 129
    oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    From all I've read, the Toshiba is PMR. I also got the Bolt during the whiteout sale, and am going to order the Toshiba.

16. Dec 1, 2016 #16 of 129
    dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    mutter mutter PITA cheap plastic..
    I was super delicate but the tabs on the little cover broke off, but I think they were broken before I did anything since I heard something in the case before trying to open it.
    Toshiba went in super easy, reformatted and dropped the OS automagically and now it has 479 hours of space, so I'm good, time to move it over to being my primary box.

17. Dec 1, 2016 #17 of 129
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Seagate has a new 5TB, 2.5inch drive out. If I weren't using these two 4TB Seagate drives in my Bolts for the last fourteen months, I would try it out.

18. Dec 2, 2016 #18 of 129
    Mad Davey

Mad Davey New Member

Nov 28, 2016
    I'll sell you my 5tb 2.5" Seagate for $30 off what I paid on amazon shipped, it's in my car and going back in the morning. Used less than a day and works perfect. I hate returning stuff and if you want to take one for the team we'd all like to see how it's surviving in a year or more. Purchased less than a week ago. Not sure I trust it but who knows. Haven't read great things about TiVo and the shingled write technology in TiVo. This is rumored to be a hybrid where shingled write is used less, but I opted for the 3tb normal Toshiba instead.

19. Dec 2, 2016 #19 of 129
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Thanks but I don't plan on opening up my two Bolts again unless I need to replace the 4TB drives. They have been working great since OCtober 2015 and I don't want to do anything to risk that.

SUpposedly the 4TB drives are the same hybrid type.

20. Dec 2, 2016 #20 of 129
    oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn New Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Since the Bolt supports 3TB natively, is it still recommended to use the MFS tool?

I'll be using the Toshiba, which is an Advanced Format 512e drive, which emulates a 512 byte drive. Advanced Format - Wikipedia