Reception

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by webm8, Oct 21, 2008.

1. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008

Advertisements

Hi there, just joined the forum even though had my Tivo for around 6yrs. (i'm probably in the wrong section too!) anyway, just moved house where the recpetion was great and i had no problems. Now however my freeview box which is conectd to TIVO is having problems. Does anyone have any good solutions on how to boost the signal. The signal is coming from the wall which i hope is conected to the ariel on the roof.

Failing that there is maybe another option. my other half has a virgin+ box thing but of course i love my tivo too much to switch. is there a way of taking a signal from that machine and using in my tivo, which would not affect the virgin box? thanks for any help.

2. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Hi there!

You can get aerial signal boosters, which might help with your first problem.

As far as your cable service is concerened, you could take signal from the To TV SCART into your Tivo, but then, if I understand it correctly, your Tivo would then control the "third tuner" in your V+ box, which means you couldn't use it to watch any "live TV" anymore, as the Tivo would need to change channels on it to record stuff for you. (Not that you do watch "Live TV" anyway, right? ;)

Your other option is a second V Box from Virgin Media but this costs £5 a month, if I remember correctly.

3. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
  4. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Ahh thanks guys, i've been reading about the boosters, but some say they are not too good and they just boost interference. Has anyone had simular problems? and found a solution. I've also just read on the forum about the "tivo suggestions" being lost!! i thought it was just my machine. Nightmare, thats one of the best things about tivo and its gone. so its no different now then any other :eek:( Bought the parents a humac last christmas and its good. all in one box. Will try a booster and see what happens. fingers crossed. Thanks guys

5. JudyB

JudyB New Member

Jan 25, 2006

Advertisements

Do you know if the aerial is connected directly or if there is an aerial splitter/amplifier in the loft?
    If it currently goes through a splitter/amplifier then one option would be to redo the wiring so that the signal goes directly to your Tivo/Freeview box and then gets fed back up to other TVs via the amplifier.
    Shortly after we first got OnDigital we got someone to rewire ours that way, and to also use satellite quality coax to reduce the interference.

The other question is whether or not the aerial itself is correctly aligned?

6. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Hmm i would not know im afraid, but as its a 3story house converted into flats, i would say its split and possibly amplified. Hmm this is one of the problems. My old place was sorted, the guy before was a techy and put up his own areal which led into my roof top flat, so i could see exactly what was happening, now i have no idea.

the freeview/tivo is picking up nearly everything apart from the itv channels. when it scans and gives me the local services, it dont say which transmitter. I get 2 options of virgin, one of tascalli and the local tv says something like Hampshire! even though im in brixton. I am not at home now so cant give you exact info. maybe its pointing at wrong place. One more thing im not too sure on and i guess my clueless knowledge will make some laugh. but is it the RF frequency thingy, its set to 69 and always has been, will it help if i cahnge that?

is it worth ringing tivo customer services to see what ideas they give? hmmm if only a few channels are missing, maybe a booster may help? thanks

7. Ashley

Ashley Aibo nut

Apr 20, 2002
    Windsor UK
    I don't think TiVo customer service will be of help.

Brixton is not far from Crystal Palace, your nearest transmitter, so you should get a good signal there.

8. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You could try adding an amplifier, I have had some success with that, but really you need to put the amp as close to the aerial as possible, ie in the roof.

I presume you re-tuned the STB after you oved?

9. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    yeah, so not sure what the problem is :eek:( will try a booster, or maybe an internal ariel? is it worth it? thanks

10. wonderboy

wonderboy New Member

May 27, 2003
    Angus,...
    I had to get an amplifier fitted to get any reception at all here, but it works perfectly now. I tried indoor aerials and they were useless... the main TV aerial sits in the loft and is fed to the amplifier which then runs to two locations in the house - both tested OK and working, though I only use freeview in the kitchen.

So the amp solutuion worked for me.

11. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    ok, I will try an amp and see what happens. Thanks. It is odd though, as its only seems to be the ITV and Ch4 channels that is affected. Also the freeview box says its getting a good signal. Thanks

12. AMc

AMc Active Member

Mar 22, 2002
    East of England
    Worth getting a booster with variable gain if you can - too much signal can be as bad as too little with Freeview.

13. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    My four'pennorth; When I cancelled sky and wanted to get a freeview box I had to get an aerial. Went to B&Q & bought their cheapest digital aerial. I put it up myself & pointed it in the same general direction as my neighbours aerials, went downstairs & checked the pictures. Nothing on freeview & a very poor analogue signal. Before phoning a pro installer I remembered that I had a 10-15 year old amplifier somewhere, so I dug it out, plugged it in & connected it up & got a perfect picture.

I was amazed that such a cheap, old box could do the job so well & save me £200 into the bargain.

As an aside, my father recently had an aerial installed and it cost him a fortune. I tried to convince him to let me try & save him the money, but he was adamant it needed to be done professionally (father/son thing). I was appalled by the job the installers did; poor connections, bad layout cables untacked, cheap materials etc. It makes it very difficult tyrying to fault find when he pulls the wrong plugs out of the TV!!

Martin

14. verses

verses TiVoTiVoTiVoTiVoTiVo

Nov 6, 2002
    I'm in a Freeview blackspot but with a cheap Wickes wideband aerial, cheap cables, and a basic plug-in signal booster I get a reasonable signal on most channels most of the time.

Having said that, if I did it again (which I may well do very soon) I'd use a better aerial and better cables as;
    • about 1/2 the elements on my cheapo aerial have fallen off over the last 5 years.
    • when some vehicles pass my house, poorly shielded engines cause interference.
    • in poor weather the signal deteriorates.

Sorry, went off on a tangent there, but my main point is that without the boosters I get zero Freeview reception.

Cheers,

Ian

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 Active Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Hmm, could be that it's being OVER amplified at the head end. I found that the ITV MUX was very sensitive to that - boost the signal too far and it would cut out.

16. webm8

webm8 New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    hmmmm food for thought. I guess I'm not really in a position to either get someone in or do it myself when it comes to a new ariel. Will try this variable gain booster this weekend. I may even just try a new wire from tivo to tv as that seems to be messing up the signal too - whihc i cant understand as its not the one from the wall to freeview or freeview to tivo. its a real pain as it worked perfectly before. I'm not too up on all the specifics of tivo and freeview ie chaning all kinds of settings. It just worked before. Thanks for your help guys :)