recently retired Series 3 now "powering down" shortly after start-up

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DrNorm, Dec 3, 2016.

1. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009

Advertisements

I have a 7 yr old Series 3 that has worked without a problem. I just bought a new BOLT and left my Series 3 in the rack, connected to LAN and AVR but disconnected from cable. I can select the input from old TiVO S3 and it works fine (other than complaining about no inputs).

My new BOLT is able to "see" the Series 3 and even identifies its ID but has yet to be able to actually connect to it. TiVo customer support tells me that I should be able to view the recordings on the S3 but perhaps it just needs to connect to TiVo servers, first.

When the S3 re-starts it is unhappy about no longer having cable input, cable cards or tuning adapter but I tell it to "ignore" those things. However, after re-starting the S3 and then leaving it alone for 10 min. I noticed that it has "powered down" and turned off. The only way to get it to turn on, again, appears to be by unplugging it but then once plugged back it, it goes through that 5-10 min "power up" sequence and again asked me to go through guided set-up.

It has NEVER powered-down on it's own, before. Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    dianebrat likes this.
  3. DrNorm

DrNorm New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I understand the cap problem except:
    1) It starts up fine and runs normally while you are using it. It only powers-off when you walk away for more than 5"
    2) Onset was instantaneous with adding new BOLT player and disconnecting tuning adapter/cablecards/coax cable from the S3.

I have a very hard time believing that it is behaving this way because I hurt it's feelings and threw it away for a trophy wife? But if caps, I would expect "total fail", not power off behavior. It has never had a "standby mode" before.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Your Bolt is NOT a "trophy wife". It is an old toothless hag that is stealing everything you own and will make you sorry you ever met it. I know - i have one, and it, along with Bad Rovi, is making me wish a meteor would totally destroy the entire company!! Owning this giant piece of shite is not worth the aggravation!

Unfortunately, there are several things going on that will make it most difficult to sort out your real problem. Up until yesterday, my Bolt and older S3 boxes worked fine together. But the most recent update has told my Bolt to refuse to see or connect to any older model TiVo box. I would like to think that maybe this is just another stupid programing mistake by Bad Rovi, but I actually suspect it is a planned act to screw their customers even worse than they have done in the past two months (yes, I am mad and have become VERY sour with this terrible company).

But the Bolt update can have nothing to do with causing your S3 to power down - I am not sure what to tell you there. I understand that the current software has some real foul actions coded into it if the box cannot connect to the TiVo mothership within some specified period of time, so I would first suspect that Bad Rovi has deliberately screwed you that way. But you said your S3 is still connected to the LAN, so that implies that it is still regularly calling home (if it is still activated)? If that is correct, I do not know what else could be causing this strange behavior.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish

Advertisements

Caps, if it's an S3 or THD and you've never replaced them, it's caps, and they don't cause it not to work completely, at many stages they cause intermittent and random seemingly unrelated issues.
    So if you've never replaced them, it's caps.

6. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I would agree that the typical failures that we see are either not powering up at all, constantly rebooting (that's how mine failed), video artifacts in pre-total failure mode, etc.. Do you have an S3 or HD model and when it's powered down all lights are off and you can't ping the IP address?

If you have the Bolt and S3/HD in the same location did you program different remote addresses other than the default 0 (which is the universal address and will control all TiVos)? The new Bolt should use RF but it can also send IR and of course your old remote will control the Bolt via IR if still left on 0. Just want to make sure that some action on the Bolt remote isn't causing this (as someone else found recently with deleted shows and unexpected recordings).

https://support.tivo.com/articles/Features_Use/Controlling-2-TiVo-DVRs-with-Separate-Remotes

Scott