Recently deleted folder question

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ufauxreal, Oct 6, 2009.

1. ufauxreal

ufauxreal New Member

Sep 16, 2008

Advertisements

How long should programs remain in the 'recently deleted' folder. It seems to me when I first purchased my Tivo HD about a year ago, they stayed in there quite a while. Recently, I deleted a program. Within 24 hrs. I realized I wanted to see the program and the recently deleted folder was empty.

Is there something I can do to insure they stay in there at least for a few days, or a week?

Thanks!

JB

2. randyb359

randyb359 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    the recently deleted files will stay there untill something over rights them. The more programs you have saved on the TiVo the less space for the deleted files and the quicker they will be overwritten. Also if you have Suggestions set to record they will over right the recently deleted files

3. ufauxreal

ufauxreal New Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Thanks for your reply. How can I tell if something will overwrite them? I don't use the 'suggestions' at all. I just went in and discontinued some season passes that I never seem to have time to watch. Maybe I'll go through and delete some of the programs I am no longer interested in, and that will free up some space.

JB

4. randyb359

randyb359 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    the only "free" space is in the deleted file folder so every time TiVo records something it will delete one of the recently deleted shows. I would assume it is the one from the bottom but am not sure about that. The only way to have truly free space is to delete files from the recently deleted folder.

5. jbernardis

jbernardis Active Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Princeton NJ

Advertisements

The only exception to the above is when the Tivo is new and you have actual free space. Once you've had the Tivo for a while, all of the free space will be represented in the RD folder, and you can be certain that something in there will be deleted.

Like randyb359 above, I'm not sure the algorithm it uses to reclaim this space.

6. lew

lew Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2002
    You need to either increase your recording capacity (replace internal drive/get external drive) or record some of your shows at SD. Instead of deleting the SPs(of shows you don't watch very often) change your SP to record the SD channel.