Recently deleted folder nearly empty but plenty of space

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by innocentfreak, Apr 11, 2011.

1. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Has anyone found their Premiere to be a little agressive about deletions lately?

My XL hasn't gone over 90% lately, but my recently deleted folder is emptied almost immediately. For example Sunday I watched several shows and my friend wanted to try Breaking In which I had watched earlier that afternoon and deleted. It was already gone from the recently deleted folder even though I had only deleted it about an hour before.

I even rebooted my XL this morning in case the FSI was just off. KMTTG also reports I have a good amount of space free so it was just odd that it was gone so quickly especially since I haven't seen it hit 100% yet. I think I only had 4 one hour shows in the recently deleted folder.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    What does your To Do List look like for the next 2 weeks?

3. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Do you have suggestions turned on? I don't think that the free space indicator includes the amount being used by suggestions. So even if it shows 90%, the remaining 10% might be full of suggestions, so it's really almost 100% full, and deleted shows will go away almost immediately.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Nope no suggestions and my to do list is the same as always. I originally thought my FSI was bugged which is also why I tried rebooting because lately it never seems to go above 90-91%. I would find shows deleted to make space yet I still wasn't at 100%.

5. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Resurrecting this old thread. For the first time, ever, my "Recently Deleted" folder is completely empty.... but not because I did anything to it. And not because I am out of space, at least, I don't think so. The disk meter in the HDUI reads 21%. That is not much space used.

So I decided to try an experiment. I deleted 20 suggestions, then deleted those out of the Recently Deleted folder, and it STILL shows 21% on the disk meter!! I left "My shows" and went back. Same thing. Went to live TV and back. Same thing. What is going on? Am I going crazy? Does the disk meter not count suggestions when computing used space?

I went into the System Information and it says I have 37 of 48 HD hours free. That is about 23% disk usage. Even if the meter doesn't count suggestions in the HDUI, I wasn't low enough on disk space before deleting anything that it would have had to purge EVERYTHING in my "recently deleted" folder.

I am very confused.

6. TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Suggestions do NOT count in the disk space meter. Suggestions always try to fill the empty space, but will be deleted immediately if needed for your requested recordings. (If we included them, most people would see 100% full all the time.)

The items in your Recently Deleted folder will be deleted if the space is needed to record TiVo Suggestions. (So in general they don't stick around for very long.)

--Margret

7. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Margret, thanks for the info (I seem to be thanking you a lot, lately). I guess I am at least partially not crazy, then :) So that explains why the meter didn't change.

Doesn't quite explain why, at 21%, it found it necessary to delete EVERYTHING in my "recently deleted". I didn't have much scheduled to record, so there was plenty of space. And there are usually things in "deleted". Part of the mystery continues!

8. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    I don't often go to the Recently Deleted folder, but if I do it is usually empty. My assumption was that it was intended as a way to restore something that was just accidentally deleted. Are you expecting it to be more of a Recycle Bin?

9. oViTynoT

oViTynoT Obvious Forum Lurker

May 18, 2007
    Plano, TX
    It IS supposed to be a "Recycle Bin."

My "Recently Deleted" has about 450 items in it right now.

Just like recycle bin, as things are added, older things are permanently and irretrievably deleted (if the Recycle Bin is at the defined limit.)

CRXSSI: Any chance you actually hit "Clear" on the FOLDER? I think that empties it completely.

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    It is supposed to be like a Recycle bin- things should remain there, forever, until space is low enough that the system needs to delete something to record something new.

I accidentally delete things all the time (usually because the interface is so slow, and I am so fast, and it can't keep up with me, and I am positioned incorrectly). So I frequently go in there to recover something. It is almost always full of stuff. It is extremely rare I have ever seen it completely empty- and when it was, it was because I really was out of space to the point it had to remove everything.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    I am positive I didn't do that.

12. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I think the items in recently deleted show stick around for a day before they can be deleted to make room for a Tivo suggestions. Otherwise the items in recently deleted are permanently deleted within about an hour or two.

13. blackngold75

blackngold75 Active Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Northern...
    That's the same behavior I see. Today, the only thing in my "Recently Deleted" folder are two shows I deleted a few hours ago. Anything else I deleted earlier this week is already gone. My disk space meter shows 35% full.

14. naparish

naparish New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I have a similar problem. I supposedly have used only 80% of the space on my Premiere, and have 9 hours left -- but at least one hour-long show was deleted to make room for new recordings, and my deleted items is completely empty. I had noticed before that it had been purging quickly. How do I re-validate the free space calc?

15. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I'll need to check out my recently deleted folder to see what it looks like. I typically only look at it a couple of times a year if even that much. It's extremely rare for me to recover a program.

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    So what would explain S2s and S3s leaving the stuff in Recently Deleted unmolested while stuff that's only a day or two old gets permanently deleted from Now Playing?

Did a newer recording need that exact spot on the hard drive? Or can it somehow sense which shows are least likely to ever be aired again in my lifetime?