Recent Update?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by geekmedic, Sep 20, 2018.

1. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA

Advertisements

My Bolt+ has rebooted three times while watching Forensic Files on CNN tonight.

Was there a recent update? Trying to figure out if it was a buggy firmware update or if I have a failing TiVo (it's about 3 years old).

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Last TE4 update was 6/28. Last TE3 update was 5/10.

3. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Update or not, you should never be seeing spontaneous reboots during prime time, nor multiple reboots close together.

Even though three years is not particularly old for a TiVo, I'd be a little worried about what might be going on. Check you temps, and run a fault check on the HDD. If you haven't been following the issues, know that the Bolts are prone to excessive heat if they are kept in an enclosed cabinet or set on anything like a towel that can block those tiny air holes on the ends. If your ODT is above 70, you have an issue.

If you have stuff you really would hate to loose, think about starting to copy those things off to either a different TiVo (first choice, if available) or a computer. Can't hurt to take a few simple precautions while you wait to see if it happens again.

4. Mahty

Mahty Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Is there a way to tell when a TiVo last rebooted?

5. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...

Advertisements

I wish there was, but I have not found it. If you use MoCA, you can check the network stats, and the MoCA uptime for a particular device seems to be a good indication.

6. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On cable it's easy. In the cable card menus, CableCard Status. It show uptime in DDDD HH:MM. Also, in Diagnostics, the cable card section has Time since OOB Tune Start in seconds.

7. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    What is OOB tune? OTA has this stat too, but I have never paid attention to it.

Mine currently does seem to correspond to the last known boot on Tuesday at 1300.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
  9. V7Goose

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    I wish they would just show this stat as a last boot date/time in the System Information, but that would be too easy!

Without a clear stat, the best indicator of a recent reboot is when multiple tuners are on the same channel. But then you still have to try and dig out the numbers.

The MoCA uptime is second best - it shows days, hours, minutes, seconds. The drag there is you still have to calculate backwards to find the real boot date/time, and I am not even sure MoCA uptime will be 100% consistent with box uptime. I guess I'll have to start watching it more regularly. And of course, that stat does not even exist if your box is not using MoCA.

The time since OOB tune is shown in total seconds, and I hate having to calculate that all out and then still calculate backwards to a real date/time. But I guess it is really not that big of a deal since you don't really need that info very often.

BTW - I just did the calculation on my OOB time, and it does seem to exactly match the MoCA uptime.

10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    network connections have been known to prompt spontaneous reboots on certain tivos, if the spontaneous reboots continue, try temporarily disconnecting your network connection for troubleshooting to see if it stops.

11. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    OOB (Out Of Band) is a low frequency channel used to communicate with the cablecard for pairing etc.

12. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    We witnessed it happening twice. I unplugged the TiVo for 5 minutes, then restarted it. Hasn't rebooted since.

It is in an enclosed cabinet, but temps have remained normal (the cabinet is next to an air vent, which helps).

Just found out the thing is only 2 years old. :O

13. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I believe that's with a Motorola CableCARD. With a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta/Technicolor CableCARD, you can see the last boot time on the CableCARD Diag Screen under the CableCARD Menu.

Scott

14. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's nicer. I hate all those calculations. :)
    ccStatus.JPG

15. leiff

leiff Active Member

Aug 24, 2005
    SF Bay area
    If you're running the old TiVo experience with the quick banner hide s spsps code than that resets every time the TiVo reboots is a way to tell

16. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Of course boot time could happen if the cable company does a firmware update for the CableCARD but those don't happen that often.

upload_2018-9-22_16-9-55.png

17. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Crap! The time is GMT. I would still need to do math. :D:D

Isn't UTC the modern usage?

HerronScott likes this.
  18. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    My CableCARD status shows 2d 3h since last boot. Doesn't seem to have rebooted since my original post. Maybe something was corrupt in the memory that cleared out by me unplugging the TiVo for a few minutes. Who knows. Will have to continue monitoring it.