Recent experience with Weaknees 4TB Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by nfrhtp, Jul 1, 2011.

1. nfrhtp

nfrhtp New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    I guess it was in March that Weaknees resolved the issues encountered with using a 2TB external drive with a Premiere, and they seem to be the only ones currently offering a 4TB Premiere (2+2) upgrade. Would any forum members be able and willing to discuss their experiences with this 4TB Premiere?

Thanks in advance.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I don't have any experience with the external drives. I choose not to use them because it adds another failure point to the system. If either drive fails, you lose ALL of your recordings.

If you are computer hardware literate, I would recommend doing an internal upgrade to 2TB yourself using a blank HD
    and comer's JMFS Live CD.
    Then buy another 2TB HD to put in your computer for the extra storage and use TiVo Desktop (or PyTivo, etc.) to transfer shows back and forth.

ETA: You joined 4 years ago and this is your first post? :eek:

3. nfrhtp

nfrhtp New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Odd but true. I've stopped by a couple times when I needed tips for dealing with an ailing Series 2, and couldn't search without registering. It has been a great source for info, but my issues had been thoroughly discussed already.

Thanks for your thoughts on file transfer vs. external HD, I will consider taking that approach.