1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiver doesn't get past "Powering Up..."

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by thref23, Dec 2, 2007.

1. thref23

thref23 New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Hey guys...from what I gather this may simply be an issue with the power supply...but I'm curious if the issue may be similar to "rebooting" issues discussed in this forum, and am curious if what I am experiencing is a common problem.

I have a basic standard definition TiVo receiver. About three years ago, I believe it was a common model. The only issues I've ever had with it is it not recognizing satellite signals upon rebooting, but I have always been able to get around that problem by following directions given by a DTV tech - unplug the sat cables, remove the access card, and then repeat setup.

Last night my signal was bad due to inclement weather (and because after being knocked out of place once its not professionally/optimally installed, signal meters are in the 70s in the best of conditions) - this may or may not be related to the issue here. Shortly after the signal started to go bad, my system rebooted itself. That had not been an issue before last night. I got it back up and running and...it rebooted itself once again. I hooked it up again another one or two times, and it would stay on for a little while, but eventually would reboot itself. I finally just gave up.

This morning I turned the tv on and saw a "powering up" screen. But the screen never got past "powering up," whenever it was about to it reset/rebooted. I figured I'd unplug it for awhile and try again later, well the problem still persists. It doesn;t get past the powering up screen.

Logically, this would seem to be the power supply. Yet, there have been no power outages or known power surges within the past 48 hours. Does anybody have insight? I'll add, I haven't had it hooked up to a phone jack in a long time, so it has likely not been hacked.

Luckily, if the receiver is busted, there's nothing stored on it thats immensely important to me, tough if it is, is there an easy way to transfer content from one receiver to another?

Thanks in advance. And btw, when the receiver started rebooting, the hard rive was fine as I was still able to watch recorded shows. And if the receiver is dead, anything I could tell DTV to encourage them to send me a new free one? Again, thanks

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    It's either the hard drive or the power supply. It's difficult to tell, since the Welcome message is stored in the PROM chip and you'd get it even if the was no hard drive connected. If the hard drive is toast, then there is definitely no easy way to recover the programming, especially if you never hacked the box. I'd recommend to try replacing the hard drive. You can get an image from dvrupgrade for $20 (or PM me with your model and I may have a free one), and hard drives (large ones) can be had for next to nothing these days. Don't bother trying to get a replacement from Directv, even for free, unless you're interested in getting a non-TiVo dvr, since they no longer keep them in stock.

3. mayce

mayce New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I have the same problem. I will PM you.

:confused:

4. LeeinSF

LeeinSF New Member

May 28, 2018
    Hello, I have the same problem. My Series2 will not boot up past the Powering Up message. Do you think it's worth installing a new power supply to determine if that is the problem and not a bad HD? I hate to lose all the programs I have on it! From the posts I have read, there seems to be no way to receiver my programs, correct?