Received my Stream 4K's today..

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream 4K' started by buckweet1980, May 8, 2020.

1. May 8, 2020 #1 of 59
    buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I ordered 2 Stream 4K's yesterday.. I live in DFW area and they were shipped from Fort Worth, so quick delivery..

Overall I'm enjoying it. There are some quirks here and there. I had some setup issues, I had to pair the remote 3 times and also using the phone to setup the device didn't work well (since this is Android TV)..

I am having some screen flickering when the refresh rate is set to 60hz, I've bumped it down to 24hz and issues are gone.. I've been testing out Kodi, Amazon Prime and Sling. Audio wise I'm finding that it doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD bitstreaming audio from KODI, but DTS and Dolby Digital seem to work.

I have two complaints right now.. I can't uninstall Netflix, nor can I remap the button on the remote. The button remapper app that I use on the Shield isn't working here. The other complaint is that you can't customize the guide yet, and they force you to see the tivo+ channels in the guide.

I'm sure many of these things will be enhanced over time, but overall for a first impression i'm enjoying it. I come from a mix of a TiVo bolt, Nvidia Shield and Vero4K (Kodi).

2. May 8, 2020 #2 of 59
    rvtivo

rvtivo New Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Do you know if the Stream remote can control a TiVo Mini? It would be a good universal remote for the bedroom tv if so. Along those lines, do you know if it has bluetooth so I could pair it with wireless headphones? Thanks.

3. May 8, 2020 #3 of 59
    jwort93

jwort93 Member

Dec 18, 2015
    Does it have any sort of automatic refresh rate switching/resolution switching? Also, are there separate options for 23.976hz, and 24hz?

4. May 8, 2020 #4 of 59
    buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    No, it's a bluetooth remote. It has some IR capabilities for a TV, but that's it.

5. May 8, 2020 #5 of 59
    buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    I'm not finding any.. That's one thing that my Shield does and it helps keep the UI fast, but then switches down for proper video. I didn't see any setting for 23.976hz, 24 is the lowest I saw.

6. May 8, 2020 #6 of 59
    lnxcel

lnxcel New Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Does it have an audio passthrough mode? I’d like to have my receiver do all the audio processing rather than having the streamer decode it.

Also can you comment on the speed of launching apps and switching between apps when compared to the Nvidia Shield.

Thanks

7. May 8, 2020 #7 of 59
    cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    The lack of bitstreaming mentioned in first post seems odd.
    It's advertised as Atmos capable... do you think it's only lossy Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus over HDMI-ARC?

Looking over the specs there's nothing about passthrough, DTS-HD MA is not listed either.

8. May 8, 2020 #8 of 59
    buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Not sure... When I go into the audio settings it shows options for TrueHD, Atmos, DTS and others.. When I try to play a movie through Plex that is TrueHD it fails to play it, Plex logs says this error.. "MDE: Cannot direct stream audio stream due to codec truehd when profile only allows eac3".. With Kodi it falls back to PCM on the same movie.

9. May 8, 2020 #9 of 59
    smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, then the client itself is saying it can't direct play it...

10. buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    The Tivo app takes a few seconds to load, but once it's loaded its fast to switch back/forth.. Other apps load pretty fast. I'd say it's on par with the Shield overally. I have the 2017 model of Shield, I don't recall if the newer one has a new better processor. As long as you're not gaming on it, I think you'll be happy with it.. Especially for 50 bucks... Of course this is if they get bitstreaming working.. This is where the Shield shines IMHO.

aaronwt likes this.
  11. buckweet1980

buckweet1980 Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Yeah, maybe Plex needs to update it.. Same with Kodi..

Guess we'll see.. However for 50 bucks, this is a nice Android TV.. Especially if if its just on a system without a high end sound system.

aaronwt likes this.
  12. smark

smark Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Usually Plex will detect if it's connected to a receiver and pass it thru (at least I recall reading that) so hopefully?

13. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    'eac3' is Dolby Digital Plus
    it sounds to me like Plex failed because the device is telling it can't do TrueHD

is there an Android system setting for manually selecting supported codecs like on the Shield? (or is that a custom Shield setting menu by Nvidia)

edit to say it would be unforunate for TiVo to get so far with Dolby Vision but only support lossy Atmos inside Dolby Digital Plus without allowing TrueHD or DTS HD pass through...

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    That is the norm for the majority of streamers.

15. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I guess just spoiled by what Shield does.

aaronwt likes this.
  16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    With my other streamers Plex will automatically send DD+ instead of Dolby True HD. For the streamers that can't handle the lossless codecs. Although it only sends legacy DTS instead of DTS:X in those situations. Instead of DTS-HD HR, their equivalent of DD+.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I didn't expect the TiVo Stream 4K to replace my Shield TVs. But it would certainly be nice if it becomes an option to replace them.

cybergrimes likes this.
  18. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    I normally would not either but recently switched back to an optical soundbase and there's a bug with Vizio TVs and Shield if using optical audio. If exiting from say Dolby audio to PCM it will put out this nasty high pitch squeal until you play something again. It's not everytime but very annoying when it happens. It seems most frequent with apps like Plex or Emby. My other devices like Jetstream 4K do not do this. There's a 3 year old thread about it on the Shield forums.

leiff likes this.
  19. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Standard ARC doesn't support Atmos or anything more advanced that DD+ So if your sound connection is via ARC, you won't ever get Atmos, DTS-HD MA or that sort of thing. If you have the newer eARC, then you should be able to pull in the more advanced sound formats. I don't, so this device will connect directly to my AVR, and sound will get routed to the AVR, not from the TV via ARC.

20. cybergrimes

cybergrimes Legend

Jun 14, 2015
    Minnesota
    Right but streaming providers like Vudu and Netflix use a lossy Atmos inside Dolby Digital Plus, it still gets the Atmos metadata, etc
    Technology Dolby Audio Dolby Digital Plus | Dolby Developer
    "Dolby Atmos audio in Dolby Digital Plus is typically encoded at bitrates between 384 and 768 kbps."

edit: which was what I was driving at before, I think the advertised Dolby Atmos here is specifically the lossy DD+ version

Last edited: May 8, 2020