Received Email-FREE Bolt OTA Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by sliderbob, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    I just received an email from Tivo stating that for the next 72 hours, I can receive an OTA Bolt for $0 down and free shipping, just a $14.99/month commitment for 2 years. Anyone else here get the same email?

2. XIBM

XIBM Member

Mar 9, 2013
    yes

3. dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Yes...I'd like to know what happens AFTER the 2 years &/or options to continue service (ie: can you then put All-In lifetime service on it?)
    The ONLY thing the "fine print" says, after 2 years, the monthly fee continues at the same rate... :rolleyes:

OrangeCrush likes this.
  4. sliderbob

sliderbob Member

Mar 17, 2008
    Ogden, UT
    OUCH! If one buys the Bolt OTA online or at Best Buy, the monthly fee is only $6.99. So if one receives this "FREE Offer", after 2 years, one would be paying $192 for the unit, but continued service would be an extra $8/month on top of the $6.99? I hope that is wrong.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    At $360 (2 years of service at the quoted rate), I think that I'd rather buy a Roamio OTA and fully own it without an on-going subscription fee in that same amount of time. Absent other considerations.

6. slatimer72

slatimer72 Member

Jan 13, 2018
    yikes..missed the rate would continue after 2 years..that is not a good deal.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Surely it’s a “if you don’t bother to take action” continuation, and one could call-in, after the 2-year term, to switch to a new monthly or annual subscription plan (or All-In). (Sounds like the same $0 down deal offered with the recent sale.)

8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I might be mis-recalling, but I thought that on a similar, earlier offer, someone had called in on the future pricing issue, and was told that the higher rate would continue to apply after the initial period was up. Caveats: that might be my faulty memory; that just might be what 1 CSA had said (and we know what that's worth); and I have an inkling of some sort of response here by someone at TiVo (but I may be crossing my issues).

9. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    No matter what a lightly-informed CSR has said, absent a contract I don’t see how they could force a customer to keep paying the higher monthly fee when anyone off the street could get a lower monthly rate. There’s nothing in the terms that state the box would be ineligible for the standard subscription rates; the customer just has to call to switch to the current subscription rate after the end of the agreement. (It’s not exactly customer-friendly, but not surprising.)

See also: Contact TiVo to cancel service when shelving old boxes; TiVo doesn’t automatically stop billing when the boxes stop connecting to the service.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  10. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    I was thinking on that, and was wondering if TiVo would place a restriction on a particular TiVo box as owned by a specific person. Of course, not at all consumer-friendly.

11. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Save your money.. Recast is on sale. I have to go easy on saying "Recast" as the website Gestapo will pump me off again.....

12. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Tivo has done this sort of offer before. The higher subscription rate is tied to the MSN and stays with it even after the contract is paid out. This makes the box worthless after 2 years. Can't sell it and its cheaper to buy a different box. Tivo did eventually allow purchase of lifetime on the previous deal but it was not discounted so still made the boxes worthless. Very had to sell used Tivo's without lifetime these days and one with a more expensive subscription cost has no value in the marketplace. Just avoid this offer if you can afford to or plan on moving on to something else after 2 years and dispose of the box.

krkaufman, NashGuy and Mikeguy like this.
  13. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    yup. When they first came out with the Roamio OTA (Sept 2014) it was 49.99 for the unit and 14.99 a month. No other options available. At the time Roamio basic (that could do cable or OTA) was 199.99 and could get lifetime/yearly. I bought one the 1st day they were available because I had a TivoHD and wanted 4 tuners (still have the TivoHD active and working)
    When Tivo did the OTA with all in for 199.99 black Friday 2016 I "upgraded". For funsies I do type in the Tivo ID on the Roamio OTA that is deactivated and only option still is 14.99 monthly. I've seen Roamios on shopgoodwill.com and entering the Tivo ID I'll see some like that still (monthly only)

14. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    This Bolt offer is pretty bad. You can still buy a Roamio OTA on Amazon for $349.99 with no monthly fees. And then of course you can buy a Recast from Amazon for only $229.99 and no monthly fees. Given these 2 options there is absolutely no upside to owning a Bolt and paying monthly fees.

OrangeCrush likes this.
  15. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    IMO, the Bolt OTA is priced too high for the utility it offers, given that it costs $250 for the box plus another $250 for lifetime service, totaling $500. Looking at pricing for Tablo, and the even lower pricing for Fire TV Recast, I think the Bolt OTA with lifetime should be priced at $400. They could move quite a few units there, I think. Seems like the Roamio OTA with lifetime sold pretty well when priced at $300 to $350.

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :rolleyes:
    Really? why is this always a debate?

2 year commitment at 14.99/mo.
    After 2 years if you do nothing you continue overpaying at that rate - because that's what you signed up for.
    After 2 years just cancel and resubscribe at whatever the current regular rate is at the time or buy All-In service.
    It's that simple and always has been.

17. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    But see:

18. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    umm not really. See my post above about when the Roamio OTA came out.

19. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Yes, some people get it. Many don't.

20. scandia101

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    And
    It is not a FREE Bolt OTA offer. No money down does not make it free.