Receice Channel 13 only

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Wayne C, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Mar 8, 2021 #1 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021

Advertisements

I moved and turned on the DVR in the new location. Same city. Same building, different unit.

I get ONE channel (13) and reception is perfect.

All other channels are not receivable.

In doing a signal strength test (on channel 5) it shows zero strength. I don't know how to do a signal strength test on 13 but it is obviously very good or the reception would not be perfect.

How can i get perfect reception on one station (13) and signal strength is zero on 5 and probably all others except 13?

IF I am getting perfect reception on 13 there should be at least "some" signal strength on all of the others.

All transmitters are in the same location.

2. Mar 8, 2021 #2 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    After posting this I went back to the DVR and now receive perfect reception on channel 2. So if i now get two channels with perfect reception, why not the rest of them, with channel 5 with zero signal strength.

3. Mar 8, 2021 #3 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    One more note. The DVR has been in storage for 5 years.

4. Mar 8, 2021 #4 of 14
    Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    well it would be helpful if you told us some more info....like maybe what market you are in?
    Also how far are you from the tv towers? Best thing to do is post your rabbitears report
    RabbitEars.Info
    What type of antenna are you using? Indoors/outdoors?

What software version does it show? Tivo/Settings/system info

In most markets stations changed frequencies due to the repack. So best thing to do is a few forced connections to try and make the Tivo update channel frequencies

5. Mar 8, 2021 #5 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021

Advertisements

I see that I have some things to do before going further, including getting a USB network adaptor to have the TIVO communicate with TIVO. This will probably resolve my issues once the frequencies are updated. Will get back if I need anything else. Thanks for your reply.

6. Mar 8, 2021 #6 of 14
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Did you do a rescan for the channels you receive?? It is highly likely that the frequencies did change in the time you had the device offline. Scan / rescan for channels should resolve that.

jcondon likes this.
  7. Mar 8, 2021 #7 of 14
    Mr Tony

Mr Tony formerly known as "unclehonkey"

Dec 20, 2012
    Mankato, MN
    you can always hook it up via ethernet for the time being

8. Mar 8, 2021 #8 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Software ver: 11.0m-01-2-658
    indoor amplified antenna
    17 miles from the transmitters

Did a rescan and only 2 and 13 are still available. All others not.

I would think that if I get perfect reception on 2 stations I should get at least "something" on some of the rest.

9. Mar 8, 2021 #9 of 14
    Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    No ethernet available, just wifi.

10. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Salt Lake City, Utah.

11. cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I assume you are going into signal strength and moving antenna to get stronger signal on others you should get. And of course in or close to a window with the antenna.

12. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Checked signal strength. Most were none. Channels 2, 9 and 13 have readings but 9 does not display.

13. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...
    Also in Salt Lake City, used to get all the channels perfectly in my old place, house with clear view to the west.
    Moved into an interior apartment, and could not get anything with an indoor antenna.
    Mounted my old outdoor antenna to a camera tripod and could get most with good signal.
    Can not get channel 5 at all, and channel 4 has started pixelating pretty badly, especially when I am moving around the apartment.
    2, 13 and 30 come in great.

Am thinking of hanging my antenna from the ceiling to reduce the "moving around" issues.
    I do not have a clear view to the west, as the building is in the way.

Luckily apartment has DirecTV included with the "entertainment package", which also includes gig fiber internet, so I'm using my DirecTV DVR to record the few NBC and ABC programs I watch.
    I had cut the cord in my old place over 10 years ago, but now back with D*

14. Wayne C

Wayne C New Member

Mar 8, 2021
    Thank you for the insight. I will wait until i can get to a west side unit before proceeding.