Rebuilding my Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by Grumpster, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007

Advertisements

Have a problem with a Thomson Tivo (PVR10UK).

Decided to dust it down from loft and rebuild it after a disk crash years ago (has crashed before).

Used my old disc tools and an old copy of the Hinsdale guide. Restored some tivo_255_turbonet.bak file not sure where i got it from. Used Mfsrestore -s 300 etc . Then copykern and option 1

Plugged Tivo into my new shiny pioneer plasma via TV scart output, just a flicker as it powers up, but no display nothing :(

Tried plugging disk back into PC and when i try to mount the image i get "please specify partition type" i thought i had specified hdb1 maybe i didn't .

How do i verify what i restored is ok? (Apart from Tivo i know!) Obviously there's the chance it died sitting up in loft. Otherwise are there newer tools and perhaps a reliable tivo image available with tivoweb turbonet modules etc?

Thanks in advance

2. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Okay ive managed to mound my old Tivo image from previous disk, all looks intact..well ive mount /dev/hdb4 and there is a file system msinfo also reported ok. It's like its lots the ability to boot from the disk.
    Where do i start? Anything i should be looking for like err an autoexec ini type file?!

3. blindlemon

blindlemon tivoheaven.co.uk

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Have you switched the jumper to make it a Master before putting it back in your TiVo? The TiVo won't boot from a drive jumpered as Slave.

4. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Yes thanks double treble checked that.

5. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007

Advertisements

Okay ive loaded up my old Tivo disk (which i believe is also shagged)

Run a mfsinfo /dev/hdb

MFS Volume set for /dev/hdb
    The MFS volume set contains 2 partitions

/dev/hdb10
    MFS Partition size: 512 MiB

/dev/hdb11
    MFS Partition size: 27661MiB

Total MFS volume size: 28173 MiB

Estimated hours in a standalone TiVo: 30

This MFS volume may be expanded 5 more times.

but when i type mount..

/dev/hdb7 on /mnt/hdisk type ext2 (rw)

This is the only way i am able to mound /dev/hdb any other partition ie 1-6 8-14 fails with "you must specify the filesystem type"

on this mount i can see Tivo dirs /bin /etc /dev etc etc... why isn't it visinble under mfsinfo???

Anyway does any of this info help? This is my old disk which also doesn't boot.

Wish i had left the poxy thing in the loft now, what should of taken me about 30mins has taken 2 evenings..so far, i see sky+ boxes on ebay for 100 sheets! Id really appreciate someone making me feel like im not chasing my tail! :up:

6. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    No display on startup normally means the TiVo BIOS couldn't find a drive to boot from, not that the drive is unbootable. Do you see the "welcome... powering up..." message?

Do the drives spin up? Have you checked the TiVo IDE cable?

7. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DRive spins up (can feel centrifugal and hear some clicking) Haven't swapped ide cable no...let me pop down and try now. BRB!

8. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    You might also want to try maketivobootable as it sounds like your old drive was using partition 7 whereas your new one has been restored to partition 4. If the boot record points to 7 but the OS is on 4 then it won't boot.

9. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Right.. ive tested both drives.

Ive possibly confused myself in the process :(

Anyway my 'old' drive sort of boots I get the Welcome Screen

Then Tivo man and "almost there.." bit of chugging then reboots back to welcome..and cycles.

Other disk i attempted to rebuild doesn't even get to Welcome screen. Both definately have data on them but you're right i think one is mountable on hdb4 the other hdb7 (incidentally using MFStools 1.1 was more successful mounting over MFStools 2.0!)

PS i remember you i bought my Tivo off you with this upgraded drive many years ago (my old disk which now loops - samsung SP1203N), i remember mailing you and you were most helpful then, as you helped me rebuild my disk back then. :D

10. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    about the reboot cycle...you might want to remove the turbonet card and try again.

11. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Tried that nope still loops...

12. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    Maybe you need a new image...

13. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Ok

I think my main problem is i can't seem to wipe either disks and start again as i can't mount either disks now since ive restored images onto them, ie i can't mound /hdb only hdb4 or 7 depending on drive. Which then means i can't use mfsrestore, seems to complain as im writing to a partition and not the whole disk?

14. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Might be a good start if you could let me know by pm somewhere i could possibly find an image pref with all the latest modules i would be most grateful. And see above my main problem is now ive written images i can't seem to wipe what is on there. IE i can only seem to mount /hdb4 or 7 and not just /hdb so i can't seem to use mfsrestore to reaaply tivo image.

Can i use fdisk on the mfstools cd to wipe the disks clean and start again?

15. TCM2007

TCM2007 New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    You don't need to mount the drive to do a mfsrestore, IIRC.

16. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Alright then how do you restore with specifiying a path! :O

17. blindlemon

May 12, 2002
    Malmesbury, UK
    mfsrestore -s 300 -r4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdX

18. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    /dev/hdb is the whole drive
    /dev/hdb1 hdb4 etc is a single partition.

You should be restoring to a drive (hdb), not a single partition (hdb7)

Your restore line should be something like:

mfsrestore -s 300 -r 4 -zxpi /mnt/dos/tivo_25_turbonet.bak /dev/hdb

Also if that's a really old image made with mfstools 1.1 then you may need the -b switch in there too:

mfsrestore -s 300 -r 4 -zxbpi /mnt/dos/tivo_25_turbonet.bak /dev/hdb

19. Grumpster

Grumpster New Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Thanks to all of you for your contributions...of course..why am i trying to mount the whole drive :( too many late nights!

One more thing, is anyone willing to post me or post a link to a Tivo image for a Thomson series1 pref with latest n greatest mods Tivoweb drivers for turbonet etc?

THanks

20. Nebulous

Nebulous New Member

Nov 28, 2005