Reboots and death of Premiere Elite

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by blibman, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Dec 4, 2011 #1 of 21
    blibman

blibman New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Houston,...
    I have had my Elite for just over a month.

I have about 20% of the hard drive full, because I transferred all the stuff I wanted to save from other tivos.

The box has rebooted a few times since I got it. One time the tuners just stopped tuning, but I rebooted and that fixed it.

Today, I was working with my channel line up and the box rebooted. It appears to be dead.

The First screen comes up, then the "a few minutes more" come up for 10-15 seconds, then blackness. Just the green light on the front of the box, no disk access noises.

I have rebooted several times. Same thing. I unplugged for 15 minutes. Same thing.

Any ideas about getting my programs back? Any other kind of hard reset possible? I even removed my bluetooth dongle, no change.

I'm going to unplug it for several hours. Any other ideas?

It is very upsetting to lose all this programming. The Elite seems very much to be a "beta" piece of hardware and software. I have had Tivos from the beginning of Tivo. I guess they rushed this out for the holidays. Any news of software updates to it soon?

Thanks.
    Brian

2. Dec 4, 2011 #2 of 21
    justinw

justinw Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Sounds like the hard drive has failed.

3. Dec 4, 2011 #3 of 21
    xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    If you can open the box, see if the hard drive is spinning -- if it is not that is a good sign .. might be the power supply ..

4. Dec 4, 2011 #4 of 21
    blibman

blibman New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Houston,...
    I can't open the box, because it would void the warranty. I can hear the hard drive spinning. :(

5. Dec 4, 2011 #5 of 21
    blibman

blibman New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Houston,...
    Exact steps:

1. Plug in
    2. Green circle light/Powering up screen
    3. Yellow circle light flashes a few times as if accessing hard drive
    4. Just a few more minutes screen
    5. Hard drive sounds like it slows down
    6. Video goes blank

6. Dec 4, 2011 #6 of 21
    donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    There is no sticker to show that the box was opened up, so if it were me I'd open the box and make sure the hard drive and power supply connectors were plugged in properly.

Infant mortality happens so you may be the unlucky one that it happens to.

7. Dec 4, 2011 #7 of 21
    blibman

blibman New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Houston,...
    I'll see what I can do about opening the box. You're sure there is no way of it showing that it was opened. I need to go read the small print as well.

8. Dec 4, 2011 #8 of 21
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do Kickstarts work on the Elite?

9. Dec 4, 2011 #9 of 21
    ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    No, there isn't. Don't know when TiVo stopped putting seals/telltales on the covers, but when they did they did us all a real favor.

10. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    I think that is normal ( for the last few versions ) while it tries to rebuild the filesystem which can take over 2 hours....

power off, then
    you should try disconnecting all plugs USB, ethernet ...
    remove the cablecard and try to boot, then wait....

11. blibman

blibman New Member

Oct 23, 2001
    Houston,...
    Current status:

I had left it running for hours and it had not come up.

I went to dinner and when I came back, it was working again. Maybe with a 2TB drive it even takes longer.

In talking to Tivo:
    1. They said that there were seals of some type.
    2. They thought it would be good to go ahead and replace the box anyway.
    3. They had no idea about this "rebuilding of the file system".

So, I am:
    1. Backing up as much as possible to PC
    2. Hoping that I can also transfer from old box to new box. I may have to reactivate the old box.

What do you think?

Thanks for all your help!

Brian

PS Why is it having to rebuild the file system? Because of the spontaneous reboot?

12. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you are still in the full warranty period (within 90 days).
    I would let it run and transfer off any shows you want to save, if possible.
    If it continues to act up, don't hesitate to let TiVo give you an exchange for free within that 90 days.

As for the Tivo rebuilding the file system, I think in some cases, the Tivo is able to detect certain errors and automatically go into "repair" mode.
    I think that is what you experienced.
    It would be nice if TiVo could put up a GSOD message instead of nothing.:rolleyes:

Regarding tamperproof seals, if they existed it would be something noticable, either before or as you go to open the box.
    I have 2 TivoHDs and a Premiere, none of which show any signs of tamper detection materials.
    The TiVo CS rep was doing his/her job in trying to keep you from voiding the warranty.
    You NEVER want to admit to TiVo that you opened the box. That's an automatic "See you, wouldn't want to be you" as far as support is concerned. It's don't ask, don't tell.

ETA: AFAIK, the only way for TiVo to detect beforehand that you "opened the box" is when you replace/upgrade the hard drive.

13. xberk

xberk Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for posting all this. I learned something here about a TIVO condition I hope I never see ... but if I do, I'll remember it... well I hope I remember it .. I actually didn't realize that opening the box voided the warranty but I can understand why it would .. of course there comes a time in the life of your Tivo when the warranty is gone anyway.

You need a special wrench to open a Tivo box. Torx wrenchs. I'm not sure what size the Premier or Elite units use .. I have a set with various sizes .. I would not recommend it for anyone except those that have built computers or worked with electronic repair ..

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Even for someone who doesn't work around PCs it is very easy as long as you have the instructions and can use a screw driver with the proper bit.

15. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    For those wondering if this is something they can tackle, technically it doesn't have to be a wrench, it can be a Torx driver or a driver handle with a Torx bit, and if it is a "wrench" it's an L-shaped thing like an Allen wrench, not what one commonly thinks of as a wrench.

It's not a super-expensive specialized tool. (and it's a lot easier to find than one of those super long specialized screwdrivers called "Mac-Crackers" that used to be necessary for opening Apple computers)

16. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    T10 for the box and T15 to remove the hard drive from the bracket.

17. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Whether you need a T-15 instead of a T-10 for the drive seems to depend on the model and when it was made. The older the TiVo, the more likely they are to have used both sizes.

For removing the motherboard and Series 3 platform power supplies you'll also need a T-9 or T-8 for screws that go through the back of the chassis, I'm not sure which, I just know it's smaller than a T-10.

One should be able to go to Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight or maybe even Sears and get a set with a handle and the necessary bit sizes for around $5.

18. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    For the Premiere isn't it the same size bit?

I know the previous boxes used two types of bits but I don't remember having to change the bit out when messing with the hard drive.

19. morac

morac Cat God TCF Club

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    How long did you wait after #6? 14.9 can show a black screen for a minute or two during start up.

Also if you are using HDMI, try switching to component.

20. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Silly question: Is the TiVo in standby mode? I assume you have pressed the TiVo button on the remote after the screen goes black?