Rebooting S3 - How I Meet Your Mother

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by ppctx, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ppctx

ppctx New Member

Sep 16, 2005

Advertisements

While watching a recorded episode of How I Meet Your Mother, OTH in Fort Worth, TX tonight, for the first time ever the s3 just rebooted. Five (5) times in a row it rebooted again at the exact same spot in play. Fast forwarded it past that spot and it played fine but backed up to it and it rebooted again. Anybody experienced similar and or know why?

Edit: Also, lately, from time to time while watching live tv, video stutters severely and has no audio. If I pause for a few second then play, it plays normal. Kinda like it is playing just a tad faster than real time?

2. ppctx

ppctx New Member

Sep 16, 2005
    thought I'd try again

3. ninaf

ninaf New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Not quite the same thing but my TV restarted everytime I hit a certain part in Dog the bounty hunter. It was odd.

4. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I've gotten into a reboot cycle like this once before, constant reboot every 5-10 minutes for almost 8 hours. When the tivo reboots, it restores both tuners to their previously tuned channel. For me, one channel was an signed-off HDTV PBS station. Once I changed the tuner away from this station, all was fine.

This was via QAM tuning before my CableCARDs were installed.

5. mgaulin

mgaulin New Member

Nov 9, 2006

Advertisements

I am getting more and more frequent reboots of the kind you are describing... a show (HD or not) will have "toxic" spots in it that will cause a reboot if played. This started fairly recently (one month?) and now it happens maybe once or twice every couple of days. It sucks. :mad:

I also experience the "stutter" effect you describe (and also the "audio droppout issue" that has been discussed on this forum).

Time Warner Cable in Albany NY.

6. BruceShultes

BruceShultes Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Albany, NY
    I am also on TW Albany, so if you want to send me a PM with some of the shows causing you problems, I can try recording the same ones on my S3 and see whether I can duplicate the problem.

I was having similar problems about 3 months ago and they went away after I installed a powered splitter from Radio Shack.

In case it is actually a sign of impending hard drive failure, you should probably write down your WishLists and Season Passes. You can always get a replacement hard drive loaded with the necessary tivo software from someplace like weaknees.com. If you do need to replace the drive, consider getting a larger one so you will have room for more saved programs.