Rebooting HR10-250, need locals, what to do?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by humbland, Mar 25, 2009.

1. humbland

humbland New Member

Aug 25, 2005

Advertisements

:confused:I have been on the fence about upgrading from the HR10-250 to the HR2x DVR or waiting until the release of the new Directv HD Tivo DVR later this year. Since the HD channel change, we have lost some HD capability and I was willing to live with that for a few months... However, my aging HR10-250 is constantly rebooting. I have tried all suggested solutions except CD everything. I suspect one of the hardrives is failing (I added a 2nd one for 80hrs HD capacity, so it could be either drive). I was planning to ask DTV for a later model (HR22 or HR23, for the larger HD) replacement for the HR10-250. I was going to keep the HR10-250 for OTA local recording (locals not available to us from DTV). Years ago, I applied for a waiver to get the locals from DTV but was denied. We do not have any OTA HD available in our rural area. Is there a current way to get the locals in HD from DTV without the waiver issue?
    My question is: Is there a cost effective repair/replacement option for the HR10-250 (to retain it for OTA sd broadcasts)? The search I did turned up services for $200+. For that amount of $, should I opt for a HR20 (with OTA capabilities) and pop for an added HD. If so, what is the best deal on an external 1TB HD to expand the HR2x capacity? Also, we have been with Tivo since the beginning. When they release the new DTV HD Tivo DVRs, what will it cost to exchange the HR2x units for the new HD Tivos?
    I have searched the forums looking for conclusive answers, but I'm hoping one of you can suggest a cost effective strategy for upgrading to the new HD channels and still retain local recording capability.
    Thanks in advance.

2. whitepelican

whitepelican Member

Feb 14, 2005
    You could always just buy a new single hard drive for the HR10-250. Most likely the problems you are having are due to one or the other of your drives starting to fail. You could pull both drives and check them on the PC to see which one is going bad, and then re-image the remaining one as a single drive. Or you could just get rid of them both and put on a new image on a new larger drive.

3. WaldorfSalad

WaldorfSalad New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Could be a bad power supply. If you open it up you can check to see if the tops of the electrolytic capacitors are bulging. That turned out to be the problem with my HR10-250 when it kept losing DVR service and there have been various other reports of issues caused by bad power supply.

4. humbland

humbland New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Thanks for the thoughts.
    The hard drive check and reimage is probably beyond my limitted technical ability. I assume that' what the repair service would do. Is there any definitive way to test the power supply?
    Can anyone answer the question about a plug and play 1TB HD to add to the HR2x. Where to get them and what's the cost?
    Thanks again.