Reboot Problems with 20.2

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Gary-B, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jan 7, 2012 #1 of 12
    Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Just found the cause of my reboot problems with the Elite running 20.2 software. Duplicated the problems twice this morning, When I go online and change the order of the season passes, my Elite will reboot with-in a couple of minutes. Anyone else want to try on theirs and post results.
    Thanks

2. Jan 7, 2012 #2 of 12
    Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Seems it's not just limited to software 20.2
    Tried on my other Elite running 14.9.2 and changed the order in the online season pass manager and within 90 seconds it rebooted.

3. Jan 7, 2012 #3 of 12
    danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    You might want to tweet @tivodesign on this or IM through these boards: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/member.php?u=198507

4. Jan 7, 2012 #4 of 12
    gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    i don't need to try. when i got my elite last week i thought it cool that the season passes were still listed from my s3 which died and there was a copy option. how great that i don't have to re-enter all those, says i, little knowing ...

did a copy from dead s3 listing to new elite. elite rebooted nearly immediately, but the sp's came over, well, many of them did, but very scrambled. hey, no prob, says i. i can rearrange them right on the web page. but three reboots later after every single change i tried to make i bit the bullet and manually re-entered all of them.

/guy

5. Jan 8, 2012 #5 of 12
    TiVoMargret

TiVoMargret VP Product Dev & Chief Design Officer, TiVo

Feb 2, 2008
    Silicon Valley
    Thanks for the info, we are looking into it.

(and sorry!)

6. eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    I was having a problem with my TiVo Slide Remote so I disconnected the Bluetooth Dongle and then reconnected it to see if that would help.
    My TiVo Premiere rebooted immediately after plugging it back in.
    Anyone else notice this behavior?
    Is this a previos issue? Pre 20.2 software?

I had my first reboot with 20.2 several days ago.
    I was wondering what might have caused it, now I know.
    I was moving some HDMI cables in and out of my receiver and wanted to make sure I did not loosen and other cables in the process.
    So I unplugged the USB cables and plugged them back in to make sure. TiVo Premiere rebooted immediately after I plugged the USB back in.

This is the only 20.2 reboot issue I have had happen so far.

7. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    No, that isn't normal behavior with plugging in the bluetooth dongle after the TiVo is up and running. I occasionally have the bug where the Premiere won't boot if the dongle is plugged in (though I haven't seen that since 14.9.2) and I have also repositioned where the dongle is a few times by unplugging it, repositioning it and plugging it back in. That action has never caused a reboot.

I don't have 20.2 yet, but once I do I'll give it a shot. I missed the original tweets from TiVoMargret and put in my request late, but I'm still hoping (hint!, hint!) I really want MRS!!!

8. eddieb187

eddieb187 Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hudson...
    That's odd. I have two Premiere XLs and both have the Slide Remote dongle connected. I have never had a problem with either one booting because of the BT Dongle being connected. Strange isn't it?
    Go figure.

9. PrimeRisk

PrimeRisk TechnoGeek

Dec 16, 2002
    Denver, CO...
    It has been well documented in the boards with this random hang. I'm calling it a resolved issue at this point as I've had to reboot my Premieres enough times since the 14.9.2 release that it should have shown up again if it was still an issue.

10. todd_j_derr

todd_j_derr Member

Jun 6, 2000
    Pittsburgh,...
    As I reported on the "spontaneous reboot" thread, I was having a lot of reboots (several times a week, AFAIK) with 14.9. Then, I had a string of 12+ days with no reboots that was only interrupted by the 20.2 upgrade. Since then, no reboots for 10+ days - until Friday at 4:45am. I wasn't awake at the time.

11. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Yes, it is strange. I could NEVER successfully boot my Premiere last year with the bluetooth dongle plugged in until 14.9. Then it was suddenly not a problem anymore. It wasn't always that way, it started being a problem with some update last year- not sure which. Lots of other people confirmed having the same experience, yet it wasn't happening to EVERYONE.

I have never, however, had the Premiere reboot BECAUSE I removed the dongle. Nor have I had it reboot for other reasons.

12. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    when i first got my slider remote about 3 weeks ago i plugged in the dongle and paired it up successfully, but when i went to re-position the antenna stub and accidentally unplugged the dongle my elite rebooted. but this was evidently a one-time thing since it hasn't happened since on the several times i've unplugged and re-plugged the dongle nor has the dongle kept it from booting on either previous or latest system software.

/guy