Reboot Problems Starting to Diminish?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by juliedrys, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Jan 1, 2007 #1 of 28
    juliedrys

juliedrys Member

Sep 7, 2004

Advertisements

I don't want to jinx my TiVo, but it hasn't rebooted in a couple of days, after a flurry of reboots (several each day) right after we got 6.3b. We also had reboots a few weeks after we got 6.3a, but it seemed to get far worse right after 6.3b installed.

We did a Clear & Delete Program Guide Data, which only temporarily fixed the problem -- reboots and freezes stopped for 2-3 days, then started again. We were having several each day, probably some we didn't notice.

Knock on wood, it's been fine for the past 2 or 3 days. Is it possible that this was a flushing out of some kind of corrupt guide data?

Anyone else notice the problem subsiding?

2. Jan 1, 2007 #2 of 28
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Can one go lower than zero reboots? As that's what I've had since 6.3b.

A number of people who have "hacked" their DTiVos, including myself, have noticed that recently, a log file has been filling up with hundreds of thousands of repetitions of an error message relating to something in the satellite bitstream. This is affecting both SD and HD DTiVos of various software versions. It's a general observation that when the disk partition holding the log gets full, the TiVo reboots and resets this partition. So this may be relevant. On the other hand, I and some others have not seen reboots in any event, so it may be a red herring.

3. Jan 1, 2007 #3 of 28
    jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
  4. Jan 1, 2007 #4 of 28
    temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Don't the hacked Tivo's have a cron job that cleans up the log files? Is that why so many folks are going around saying they haven't had any problems? If the logs filling up is the cause of the problem, it would be less likely for a hacked tivo to experience the problem if it happens intermittently enough where the cron job can clean up the files before the partition gets filled up.

5. Jan 1, 2007 #5 of 28
    dbaile

dbaile New Member

Apr 8, 2004

Advertisements

I don't have the update yet and my problems seem to be getting continually worse. First audio dropouts, then stuttering, then partial recordings, then reboots. I did a clear and clean but it rebooted first thing this morning and is stuttering and freezing more frequently. Not sure if there are other issues beyond the simple software update. I'm ready to throw it out the window.

6. Jan 1, 2007 #6 of 28
    temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Sorry to break the news to you, but the only thing in my experience that fixed the problem was going back to 3.1.5f version of the software. Which means you'll have to crack open the tivo and learn something about it....or buy a new hd with 3.1.5f on it already. Just make sure you don't connect your phone line back in after you revert back to 3.1.5f or you'll be in for the same joy ride.

7. Jan 1, 2007 #7 of 28
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Going on four days now with no reboots (HR10-250, v6.3a), after several reboots that started Christmas Eve. Keeping my fingers crossed!

8. Jan 1, 2007 #8 of 28
    juliedrys

juliedrys Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Sorry but unless my Tivo starts rebooting again regularly, I don't see the point in this. I won't be convinced until it goes for about 30 days without a reboot or freeze, but for now it's fine.

It may indeed have been bad guide data, or perhaps we will never know. But it's pretty clear to me that several people experienced a rash of reboots around xmas, sometimes multiple times per day (as in our case), but they have stopped now. This is not to say that I won't be back in the same frustrating boat any time now, but right now it's working fine and I'm not going to go back to 3.1.5f unless I'm convinced it's not fixed.

9. Jan 1, 2007 #9 of 28
    stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, many who hack their TiVos also add a cron job to purge the logs. Sometimes the partition fills up in less than a day. It's not conclusive that this log-filling leads to reboots.

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    No reboots since the first week that I had 6.3a. Not a hacked unit.

11. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    I've had reboots since 6.3a (still can't get 6.3b even with forced daily calls), but not with any regularity. And I don't think I've had any in the last 3 or 4 days. Who knows what that means. Certainly my software didn't get updated, and since my Tivo isn't hacked, it's not some log cleaning script doing anything.

Perhaps the bitstream got "cleaned up"?

Still having the Fox OTA audio drop-outs, so I'm hopeful I'll get 6.3b to fix that issue.

12. jediphish

jediphish New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    Had to force a reboot last night when the remote became unresponsive with a gray screen. Come to think of it, I was watching PBS just before this happened and I remember a lot of my Christmas reboots occurred after watching PBS (OTA) and then channel surfing other local OTA channels. Strange.

My HR20 arrives in 2 days so the countdown for me has begun. I'll still have 1 HR10 in another room.

13. RexB

RexB D*TiVo

Apr 25, 2004
    Whidbey...
    The Christmas Reboots & Lockups have disappeared on this HR10-250 v6.3a. Still unplugged in fear of 6.3b, although it's probs may be less (?)

Don't jinx it!

:)

14. mgoddard1

mgoddard1 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Indianapolis
    My 6.3b system rebooted about 1:00am EST today and I'm still seeing the occasional reboot. From what I've seen in the error logs it could be due to corrupt guide data or how 6.3 processes the guide data coming from directv.

15. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    Knock on wood. Still no reboots on my three 6.3a HR10's and my one 6.3b HR10. I use the "S-P-S-9-S" on-screen clock hack, so I know I'm not silently resetting overnight. I do experiance the OTA audio dropouts on the 6.3a machines, however.

Not sure why I am running relatively trouble-free while others aren't, but in case it helps anyone:

• All four machines are different ages, but they share the same north east guide data and none are configured to receive suggestions, so the drives rarely, if ever, fill-up.
    • Two are connected via HDMI and two via component.
    • One records and outputs Dolby Digital, the others record DD, but output PCM.
    • The most active machine is a 2-drive (56 hour HD) unit running 6.3b that has 42 Season's Passes configured, about 35 of them currently active. It did suffer a 2-3 week spell of random reboots many months ago under 3.15f, but that problem cleared up on it's own.
    • Two of the machines have legacy 3.15x recordings stored in the Now Playing list, marked as "Do Not Delete".
    /steve

16. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    Hmm,
    Interesting that you don't have any recording suggestions...a few folks have said their problems went away after they cleared up drive space. My problems reappeared with new drives after it had been running long enough to fill the drive witih suggestions... There were also a few folks that said that unit missed recordings due to lack of space even though there were plenty of recordings marked for deletion. Can it be as simple as that?

17. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Still no reboots for me, since around Christmas (or maybe the 26th). Knock on wood.

18. jcricket

jcricket New Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Good luck avoiding reboots on the HR20. Again, while this is a Tivo forum so there's some bias, I wish the HR20 were more stable (so I had a real choice in case my HR10 dies), but it still doesn't appear to be - at least for a non-trivial minority of customers.

Unlike the recent rash of HR10 reboots, there seems to be a fair number of conditions that cause the HR20 to reboot, but not for everyone. So, YMMV.

19. tvl76

tvl76 CUBS WIN !

Oct 5, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    What that ?

Select Pause Select 9 Select ?

Please clarify, Thanks

20. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Almost. It's Select-Play-Select-9-Select. It turns on a clock display.