Reboot Loop / Sysinit - Please Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by revx, Mar 9, 2006.

1. revx

revx New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    North Texas
    Hi,
    I'm have an issue with my SA Series 2 (24004A) that I just killhdinitrd. The unit is a modded with 2-120 Maxtor drives and I've got SW 7.2.1 running on it.

I put tivotools in /tivo/tivo-bin and some other hacks in /var/hacks. I've narrowed my problem down to the sysinit script, but I can't figure out what the problem is.

I had this in my rc.sysinit.author file:
    #!/bin/bash
    export TIVO_ROOT=""
    export MFS_DEVICE=/dev/hda10
    export PATH=./:.:/utils:/bin:/sbin:/tvbin:/tivobin:/tivo-bin
    # start telnet
    tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &
    # start ftp
    tivoftpd

and I made it executable to 755 using this command:
    chmod 755 rc.sysinit.author

then I disabled the firewall with this command:
    mv /tivo/etc/netfilter-enable /tivo/etc/netfilter-notenabled

When I powered up the unit, everything looked fine... I got to the "Almost there..." screen and then it rebooted. Again and again. I pulled the drives back out; checked my work; made sure the "bootpage -p /dev/hdc" showed the proper commands (root=/dev/hda4 dsscon=true console=2,115200 upgradesoftware=false) and tried it again. Same reboot loop. So I went back in and rem-ed (#) everything out of my sysinit file, re-wrote it and then reversed the netfilter command, and now all is working again.

Well, except I can't ftp or telnet... but the Tivo is working and it was back online to record Law & Order so my wife wasn't pissed.

So... I am missing something obvious? I did a quick file search and couldn't seem to find "tnlited" anywhere. Would that cause such a reboot loop? I found anther thread that said after I make it executable, to make it NOT executable writing to 000. Also, do I want the bootpage to hold the "upgradesoftware=false" or should that go in the sysinit file? Why do I want this anyway... don't I still want S/W updates to come down?

Thanks in advance!
    -=reVx=-

2. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    check on ddb but I think you have to do something to iptables renaming netfilter doesn't seem to work.
    I don't have a Standalone though.