Reboot from front panel

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rbienstock, Sep 28, 2007.

1. rbienstock

rbienstock Member

May 8, 2007
    If a S3 gets locked up and needs to reboot, is there a way to do that without pulling the plug? I don't mean from the menus -- if the unit is locked up, you can't get to the menus. I'm asking whether there is some combination of buttons on the front panel that one can use to initiate a reboot.

2. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    Not that I know of. But if you reach along the right side you can pull the cord from the back momentarily. I get freeze-ups every couple of weeks and do this.

3. rbienstock

rbienstock Member

May 8, 2007
    Mine is in a rack and getting to the back is a real pain. I can't believe that there is no way to do a reset. And, by the way, what does the little "Format" button on the front do?

4. hiker

hiker S.o.N.Y.D.a.C.

Nov 29, 2001
    SF Bay Area...
    My S3 is in a large shelf unit and it's a pain to move it for rear access. But there is enough space to reach my arm through on the right side to momentarily pull the cord. Maybe you can't do that on your setup.

Get an AC extension cord and install a cord switch and position that in an accessible place.

I think the format button provides the same function that is in the Video Output Format menu.