Reboot and lock up problem

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by qman68, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Nov 5, 2011 #1 of 13
    qman68

qman68 New Member

May 30, 2004

Advertisements

I have a TivoHD with a lifetime subscription, I have had it for years and on occasion is would lock up and sometimes even reboot. I thought it might be the hard drive so I replaced it. This did not resolve the problem. Then I thought it might be the power supply, replaced the power supply and this too did not resolve the problem. All that is left it the mother board any other suggestions?

Thank you.

2. Nov 5, 2011 #2 of 13
    unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Do you have it on an Uninterruptable Power Supply?

Do you have cable cards in it?

Are you using an SDV adapter with it?

Do you have an over the air antenna connected to it?

Was that replacement power supply new or used?

What did you do with the original hard drive and power supply?

3. Nov 6, 2011 #3 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL. Not picking on you in particular qman68 but your post is an example of something that repeats frequently on this forum, which is that someone will say "I have this problem, please help" but they don't seem to make the slightest effort to provide the details of their situation, which are needed by anyone trying to help.

Another detail is: Are you using HDMI?

4. Nov 6, 2011 #4 of 13
    qman68

qman68 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Sorry about not providing more information so to answer your questions:

Do you have it on an Uninterruptable Power Supply? Yes. I live in Florida and this is kind of a must.

Do you have cable cards in it? Yes 1 Cable Card MultiStream

Are you using an SDV adapter with it? No

Do you have an over the air antenna connected to it? No, using cable

Was that replacement power supply new or used? New

What did you do with the original hard drive and power supply? I still have the old power supply and the old drive crashed.

HDMI? Yes

Please let me know if you require more information.

Thank you

5. Nov 6, 2011 #5 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH

Advertisements

Lockups can be caused by the HDMI interface either due to a bad cable or because the TV or your TiVo don't meet the HDMI specifications perfectly. Before you do the other more expensive things, I would recommend a new HDMI cable. If that doesn't fix it then try component connections if practical to do so. I'm running component on my HD because I had this problem. I made this decision more than a year ago and several TiVo software updates have occured since then, so it's possible I could go back to HDMI now, but there's no significant advantage for my particular setup.

Unfortunately even your latest PS or HDD could still be bad.
    For the HDD: kickstart 54 or mfr's extended diagnostic test
    For the PS: measure 5 and 12 volts at HDD power connector and look for bulging/leaking electrolytic capacitor cans, see badcaps.net

6. Nov 7, 2011 #6 of 13
    qman68

qman68 New Member

May 30, 2004
    I ran the kickstart 54 and it passed.
    Checked the volts on the power supply = ok
    Removed the HDMI and connected with component cables.
    Shut the system down, removed the cable card and ran the Guided setup.
    Shut the system down again, inserted the cable card and ran the Guided setup again.
    System still rebooted when attempting to change channels. I am sure it will also reboot when navigating the menu or checking the Channel Guide as it has in the past.

I have no idea what is next?

Thanks again.

7. Nov 7, 2011 #7 of 13
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    If you didn't have lifetime I would say scrap it. But ......

I don't know if this could be a CableCARD problem. If you have an OTA antenna or your cable co still broadcasts analog channels (some still do), try actually running it without the CC. If you're in a strong signal area you can buy a small OTA antenna for $20 or less that will work fine.

Look at the other KS tests and run any that sound like they might help.

If your old PS was good, sub it back in. There are other voltages than the 5 and 12 that could be bad.

Remove the drive, hook it up to a PC and run the mfr's extended diagnostic tests. KS54 fails to detect some problems.

Call weaknees.com and discuss your situation with them to see if you want to try their repair service.

8. Nov 7, 2011 #8 of 13
    qman68

qman68 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Thank you.

The Tivo does have a lifetime subscription.

I will call the cable company and see if they can replace the CC for me.

As far as the hard drive is concerned, had the same problems with the old hard drive and this is a brand new drive with the OS from Weaknees.com.

Could it be the mother board? Does anyone replace them without losing the lifetime subscription?

Thank you for your assistance and I will keep you posted.

9. Nov 7, 2011 #9 of 13
    unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    When you were sticking your voltmeter probes into the power supply, did you carefully visually inspect all the capacitors for any signs of even the slightest bulging or doming or leakage?

10. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Pretty rare, I think. The lifetime sub is tied to the board and only TiVo can transfer it to another board. Thus you may be at TiVo's mercy if it is the board. Find out what deal TiVo offers and it would be worth asking weaknees.com too.

11. qman68

qman68 New Member

May 30, 2004
    Update:

Ok so I went to the Brighthouse store and was going to make an appointment for a tech to install a new cable card, they just handed me a new one. I installed it into my Tivo and it displayed the number to call and the Cable Card Id and Host Id. After talking to technical support and a few resets it seems to be working properly. We will see soon enough if it locks up or reboots my system.

They also provided me with a Tuning Adapter that allows be to receive some channels that I had been missing.

If this works I want to thank everyone for their assistance.

12. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    You should still pop the top and take a good look at the power supply caps.

That replacement probably has the same dodgy brands as the original.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Amazing! I strongly suspect I wouldn't get this good treatment if I went to my nearest Time Warner store (which is 40 minutes away). More likely, they would ask me "what's a Tuning Adapter?".

Good luck -- hope it's OK for you from now on.