Rebel (ABC) Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 8, 2021.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Rebel premiered tonight on ABC. Based on the life of Erin Brockovich. Stars Katey Sagal as Annie "Rebel" Bello.

It was okay, but just felt a little too "non-stop scripted" to me. Like a giant puzzle and the pieces just snapped together bing bang boom over the hour. I realize it's a drama pilot, and they have to set the table, but they need to give us time to breathe. They did a season's worth of character development in an hour. You know how some dramas will add a character in E2, and maybe another in E3? We got all of them tonight. And by my reckoning, there's 10+ named characters.

And it's kind of a shame, it's not a bad concept, and has some decent actors.

I'll watch another, to see if they can improve upon the pilot.

Rebel (2021 TV series) - Wikipedia

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I might have given it a whirl if the show and the main character were named something other than "Rebel".

DouglasPHill likes this.
  3. leeherman

leeherman Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You’d have known how that came about if you’d watched it.

Spoiler alert, that’s a nickname.

LH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rainy Dave

Rainy Dave Regulated User

Nov 11, 2001
    Tri-Cities
    We made it through 20 minutes and then gave up.
    It just didn't make any sense to us. Too fragmented.

5. DouglasPHill

DouglasPHill Cynical old guy

Feb 10, 2005
    St Louis, MO

Advertisements

They advertised it so much, no way I was going to watch.

6. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    We enjoyed it, but it was like wall to wall guest stars (or were they main characters?) Adam Arkin 's the guest star (hey cool he was on Sons of Anarchy too)... oh wait, the guest is Andy Garcia? No that can't be right, he's Katey Segal's dead best friend's husband so he'll probably stick around. And Mary McDonnell! That means they'll resolve the heart thing because they won't kill her, not in the first couple of weeks. And WOW, Katey has kids all over the place, but I guess that makes sense given she has husbands all over the place.

We'll keep watching for now.

7. gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da Bronx
    Watched it last night on OnDemand. I like Sagal. Especially on SoA. But here she is too overbearing. I am out.

8. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I couldn't finish E2. Just not my type of show. I like most of the actors, but the story line, and writing, ain't doing it for me.

9. MauriAnne

MauriAnne Mostly lurking

Sep 20, 2002
    NC
    I really wanted to like this show. Cast had a number of folks I typically enjoy, but I couldn't make it past 15 minutes of episode 1.