Rebates :(

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by WaarrEagle, Jan 17, 2006.

1. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    DTV took a long time to send me my rebate form (over 30 days) so I printed one off the internet and sent it in at the end of December. I finally got my rebate form from DTV this week (I called to order the week of Thanksgiving). I just called DTV to confirm that they received my first form and they have no record of receiving it. Thanks to reading this forum, I got signiture confirmation on it but I did not have the number on me so I told them I would call back. Should I immediately call retentions or what? I told the rep that I had proof that it was delivered so it is now their responsibility and he just repeated that I should submit it again. How should I approach this?

2. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    DirecTV has been ridiculously bad about processing the rebates...

In all likelyhood the rebate may get to you very soon, regardless of whether the CSR could find info on receiving and/or processing it. Sadly, DirecTV doesn't update their systems anywhere to not that they've received and/or processed a rebate, so it could be literally in your hands tomorrow with the CSRs having no record of it at all.

If you haven't waited about 3 - 4 weeks after the date the rebate form was received/delivered, then wait a little longer. If you mailed at the end of December, then they still have a few weeks to go, and you will likely see the rebate soon. If you don't get it by the end of this month, then call them back and rip them a new one.

This rebate, and any future ones should be one that *is* tracked by DirecTV, and one you should be able to check status on by checking your account on the web or by calling into a CSR. If we are lucky, they (DirecTV) will piss off a lawyer or two in the rebate processing, get sued, and settle the lawsuit by consent decree that requires them to do such in the future.

For now, give them a little more time, and if you don't get something by end of the month, rip up up and down to get satisfaction.

3. taj2

taj2 New Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I sent a rebate form in on around 9/15. I called DTV twice around late November, both times I was told the check was in the mail. Around 12/20 I called DTV and was told they would just credit my account; rather than credit the account they sent me a new rebate form for DVRs purchased between 10/26 and 2/06 - not even the period I purchased HD DVR.

After 60 minutes and two reps I finally got the $100 credit to my account. The whole process was a joke and used up all my goodwill toward DTV. Even the 6 months of free Showtime didn't make me feel any better. After all that wasted energy and frustration on my part it wasn't worth it. Plus it's Showtime which quite frankly is pretty underwhelming....

4. Books

Books Member

Sep 21, 2001
    NC
    I posted about this in the other thread, but I didn't send my rebate in until the beginning of Jan. I got my rebate check in the mail today for $200, instead of the $100 that it was for. I'm assuming this is due to the new offer they have now. I was happy with the extra money and the quick rebate.

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    I actually just ran into the opposite problem. I was given the rebate form for $200 and only got a check for $100.

I can't find the retension rep phone nubmer in my files. Can anyone help out? :confused:

6. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    If you are not subscribing to the HD net package, you won't (as best I could tell from the copy of the new form they had sent me) quality for the bigger rebate.

7. WaarrEagle

WaarrEagle New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    They signed for my rebate on Dec. 30. I guess I will wait until next month and if nothing comes, I will call back.

8. wallyj

wallyj New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    Ft Worth, TX
    Sent my first request back in September. No rebate. Called in December. Was asked to re-send. Did so, but instead of getting a rebate, 3 weeks later I get another rebate form and letter in the mail. This one says I can get $200 instead of $100. I mailed that one too. Who knows if I will ever actually get a check. Probably not, but they will probably extend my 2 year commitment into a 4 yr. They are worse than inept. It is quite pathetic.

9. dagap

dagap New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Alpharetta, GA
    Fill out three rebate forms and send them at two week intervals. Odds are that at least one of them will make it through their mail bag and you'll get your check.

Beats playing CSR roulette and begging, IMO.

10. Jim Abbett

Jim Abbett New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    After much hassle, bitching and complaining for the proper forms, I got mine back in about a month. They also sent me more rebate forms in the mean time. Wonder if I could send them in also? :)

11. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    one CSR told me that there is no such rebate...I'm getting a little pissed...I want my $100

I'm going to call this weekend, if I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'm going to file a fraud complaint against them...

12. ezwinner701

ezwinner701 New Member

May 18, 2005
    hi can you tell me where i can get the link for the $100 rebate again? i cant seem to find it

thanks

13. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    I just had a rebate form mailed to me. I bought the HD-Tivo directly from DTV. I did not receive any kind of receipt for this. The rebate says I need a receipt or confirmation number. Do I call customer service to get a copy of the receipt or a confirmation number?

14. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just got my rebate form yesterday, 3 WEEKS after I bought the HD Directivo. I remember hearing it was supposed to be sent to them withing 30 days, but reading the fine print on the rebate form, I see no such restriction. All I see is a general cutoff date(April something I believe) for them to receive the rebate.

Logistically there may be no way to conform to the rebate demands within 30 days because for the rebate, they require a copy of your bill showing activation of the box/HD package. Well, I gotta wait to receive my NEXT bill which will actually show this, before I can send it in. That's gonna put me well past the 30 days.

15. JasonTX

JasonTX New Member

Jan 11, 2002
    The rebate form for both $100 and $200 is here:

the directv website with "/imagine/pdf/dvr_rebate_form.pdf" at then end.

(I can't post URLs yet)

16. JasonTX

JasonTX New Member

Jan 11, 2002
  17. toneman

toneman This space for rent

Oct 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Apparently whoever is processing the rebate forms isn't verifying as to exactly when the purchases/activations were made...I mean, isn't that the proof we're supposed to supply when mailing in the form? :confused:

In any case...their ineptitude is someone else's (Books) gain...and no, I won't start or get into any moral or ethical discussion as to whether he (or anyone else who mistakenly got $200 instead of $100) should "do the right thing" about getting an extra $100, so to speak. ;)

18. Books

Books Member

Sep 21, 2001
    NC
    Actually in my case, I called and was told that the $200 rebate was not a mistake.

19. cougfan

cougfan New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    I called yesterday to check the status of my $100 rebate sent in in November after an early October HD Tivo purchase. The rep first told me that my check was mailed on Dec. 30th. Unless it was mailed from outside the US, I should have received it. I explained this, and added that I recently received a $200 rebate form -- maybe that was the Dec. 30 mailing. She said it probably was, and that I should send the $200 rebate in instead. She explained that they mailed the $200 rebate forms to people that purchased their units just prior to the $200 rebate taking effect as a way of ensuring that all customers got the benefit of the same (better) deal.

Now I'll wait.

Also, I printed the order confirmation page from Directv.com in lieu of a "receipt." The rep told me that all I would need is the confirmation number (also found on the order confirmation page), but I figured the more paper I can throw at them, the better off I am.

20. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    Santa Fe
    I pity the poor buggers who've just signed up with D* in the past few years and don't know how to get around the endemic incompetence.

I just got a form letter back from the Rebate Nazis saying I didn't qualify. No reason given. Though, I could figure it out -- and also knew better than to call anyone other than Retention.

I bought an R10 on the free/rebate deal to replace my ancient GXCEBOT I keep in the guest house for my father-in-law. He's here about 3-4 months of the year and he has an R10 [now] at his home -- and keeps his old RCA whatever in his 5th-wheeler when he's traveling. Because I turn the R10 off when he's not here -- and turn it back on a few days before he returns [to populate the Guide], I'm certain the rebate dorks checked on it being activated -- when it was off.

I also know damned well that explaining it to an over-the-counter CSR is an exercise in futility that would end with resubmitting the paperwork, etc..

Retention ended up giving me a credit here and a credit there -- it all adds up to the $100 rebate and I'm a happy camper. I don't know what we'll ever do if they decide to offshore retention or give it to the CSR's!