Rebate Help

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Rosco234, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Rosco234

Rosco234 New Member

Jan 4, 2006

Advertisements

I just recently purchased my first Tivo and was hoping to take advantage of the $150 rebate. Unfortunately my wife threw out the packaging with all of the post-christmas trash. I didn't realize that I needed a copy of the UPC code from the box until it was already gone. I called the rebate "helpless" line and they said that I am basically out of luck. Does anyone have any suggestions or success stories to get around this? $150 is a tough hit to take for such an easy mistake.
    Thanks,
    Rosco

2. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Rosco,

I am not trying to give you a hard time, but......NEVER throw out the packaging for a product that has a rebate! That said, you may want to try and send TiVoJerry a PM and explain the situation to him. He might be able to help, but chances are you are SOL on the rebate without the UPC.

Just a bad situation....good luck!

EDIT: Even if the product doesn't have a rebate, it is still good practice to keep the box in case you have to return it to the store for whatever reason.

3. tstokes71

tstokes71 New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    The UPC is on the back of my tivo. My original rebate was lost in the mail. I think I took a picture of mine and then printed it on plain paper. Mail-In Rebates are such a pain in the @$$. Or call Tivo and tell them you mailed your rebate info in months ago and haven't got your rebate. They will tell you how to resubmit your rebate. Hey, things get lost in the mail. Good luck.

TS

4. jimisham

jimisham New Member

Nov 28, 2001
    stevensville...
    And they even get lost at the rebate center. Even though I sent mine by certified mail and it was signed for, they had 'no record of it being received'.

5. msu-dawg

msu-dawg New Member

Jan 7, 2006

Advertisements

I think that's intentional. The more difficult they make the process, the more people who will not do everything just right, and the fewer rebates they pay. And since it usually takes a couple of months or more for them to finally process everything and send the money, the more people who will forget about it (especially the smaller ones) and not call if it doesn't show up. Again, the fewer they have to pay!

I currently have two of those $150 Tivo rebates "in the process" so I'll be checking up on those regularly!

6. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Correct. About 30% of rebates are redeemed. This is an industry average, and people pouring over TiVo financial statements have determined that it's correct for TiVo too. So, a $150 rebate is financially equivalent to a $50 sale, but more far people will buy a widget with the $150 rebate.

7. Momcat28

Momcat28 New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    We had the same thing happen - just bought a Series2 DVR and my husband tossed the box (where I had put our now-dead ReplayTV).
    He called the Billings and Rebates phone number on the Tivo website, and they said we could apply for the rebate without the UPC code, but we had to wait 30 days.
    I am a little suspicious, since everywhere else it says you HAVE to have UPC code, but guess I will hope for the best!