Reaper (S1 Ep 2) 10/2

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BeanMeScot, Oct 2, 2007.

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1 of 31
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Who didn't laugh out loud when he ran out to "get" the vessel after it got smashed? :D "Some of the Vessel is missing." Trying to get rid of the box got a little old and predictible, but overall good. I couldn't figure out how he was going to capture the guy with the Vessel.

2. Oct 2, 2007 #2 of 31
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm still liking this show.

Is his buddy who's not Sock going to be injured in every episode? Shouldn't his name be Kenny Redshirt?

He's going to have to tell Andi at some point, isn't he? And then we'll find out she's a guardian angel or something.

3. Oct 2, 2007 #3 of 31
    TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I thought this episode was much better than the Pilot. I'm still not 100% sold on it, but it bought itself a few more weeks of recording.

4. Oct 2, 2007 #4 of 31
    cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    I'm looking forward to Pushing Daisies tomorrow, one of the other advance-consensus "best new show" nominees, but I'm sold on this one so far. I really like it.

5. Oct 3, 2007 #5 of 31
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    I liked the pilot as well, but agree this ep was much better. It felt like it had better structure and pacing.

I laughed out loud at several points, mostly during his conversations with the Devil.

Definite keeper.

6. Oct 3, 2007 #6 of 31
    terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    Definitely my new favorite show. :up:

7. Oct 3, 2007 #7 of 31
    spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    eh.

I'll give it one more episode.

8. Oct 3, 2007 #8 of 31
    Ntombi

Ntombi New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Bostonian...
    I liked it, but I was slightly annoyed when I thought I knew where it was going when the vessel got run over. Imagine my (happy) surprise when it went in a totally different way!

I thought that the remote was going to control the Prius, which they would then drive to the DMV (I couldn't figure out how it would get into the tube, but...).

I actually liked the writing of the pilot slightly better, but the enhanced chemistry of the characters made up for it, and I liked this episode. I didn't laugh as much, but I appreciated some nuances they can build on. (the red-shirt friend, the fact that Sock laughs when he's nervous, etc.)

And I hate to keep beating a dead horse with the comparison to Chuck, but when I was watching that last night, I kept reminding myself that Reaper was on tonight, so I had something to look forward to. NOT a good sign for Chuck.

9. Oct 3, 2007 #9 of 31
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    I liked the first episode and liked this one even better. They've toned down Jack Black and that's a good thing. A little Jack Black goes a long way.

10. rickertk

rickertk Not quite new Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Suburban...
    Whoops! Watched the Pilot and enjoyed it, but forgot that I recorded it as a one time only, and not a Season Pass. I missed this one, but set up a SP for the future. So I'll have to wait and hope the show does well enough to repeat this episode. Fortunately, this show doesn't seem like it has so much interweaved plot from week to week that I won't have missed too much.

Keith

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'm just really bummed about the horrible casting choice for Bert. If it weren't for that I'd really be liking this show a lot.

12. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    good show, not a favorite by a LONG shot. Season pass deleted, but will catch if nothing else is on, or if im home sick or something....

13. Bill Reeves

Bill Reeves Lurker

Jul 17, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    I thought this episode was worse than the pilot. It seemed like a lot of padding. The pilot had a reason to not get to the "meat" of the episode (the bad guy who needs to be sent back to Hell) until the second half of the show -- they had to introduce the concept. This episode seemed like a half hour of trying not to open the box. Gosh, I wonder if the box will show up right about now? It got old.

The second half of this episode was entertaining, but I think there was only enough material in this episode for a half-hour show. Maybe my expectations were too high after the very enteraining pilot.

14. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    I liked his buddy this episode a lot more specifically because he was more like jack black and less like vince vaughn. The character still needs some work but is much improved.

While I agree about your criticism of this episode, I think I liked it a little more because the characters seem to be a little better fleshed out. It did seem like the first half or so of the episode was completely unnecessary and just a duplicate of what had already been done last week (resisting the job, etc.).

Also, what happened to his super powers? I hope they don't disappear after the pilot.

15. cwoody222

cwoody222 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 1999
    Buffalo, NY
    Really? I think he's doing great.

16. loubol

loubol There is no spoon!

Apr 16, 2003
    San Jose CA
    Best show on Tuesday night. Way better then the ABC caveman/carpool lineup. I was ready to go to sleep after those 2 shows.

17. Ruth

Ruth Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Anchorage,...
    I agree with a lot of the criticisms that have been posted, but I still really enjoyed the show. It's fluffy and silly but enjoyable light entertainment.

18. lonwolf615

lonwolf615 New Member

May 19, 2004
    Maybe its just wishful thinking on my part, but I thought this one was a little darker than the pilot. It seemed to open up more possible paths for the show to go down. Have to agree about the first half being a little weak though.

19. WinBear

WinBear Konner Kringle

Aug 24, 2000
    Carrollton,...
    Did the devil tell Sam the "sparks" he was feeling were part of his gifts like the telekinesis we saw last week? They need to nail down those gifts pretty quick or they'll just be another crutch for the writing team.

20. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    two weeks in a row now I wasn't home to catch it but my HD feed was to pixelated to watch. I may need to switch my SP to my SD feed.