"Reaper": Pilot episode leaked

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Malcontent, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Malcontent

Malcontent Ancient Astronaut Theorist

Sep 4, 2004

Advertisements

The pilot episode for a new show called "Reaper" has been leaked onto the net. It's on bittorrent and newsgroups.

For the first 20 years of his life, Sam (Bret Harrison, "The Loop," "Grounded
    for Life" wondered why his parents went so easy on him. Whether it was school,
    sports or career choices, Sam's mom (Allison Hossack, "Falcon Beach" and dad
    (Andrew Airlie, "The L Word" always let him get by with the least possible
    effort, while at the same time pressuring his younger brother Keith (Kyle
    Switzer, "15/Love" to excel. As a result, Sam skipped college, took a dead-end
    job and now wastes endless hours playing video games and wishing he had the guts
    to ask out his pretty co-worker, Andi (Nikki Reed, "Thirteen," "The O.C.".
    Everything in his slacker world changes the day Sam turns 21 and discovers the
    ungodly reason his parents let him slide: they sold his soul to the devil before
    he was born. Satan himself (Ray Wise, "24," "The Closer" drops by to personally
    explain that Sam must now serve as his bounty hunter, tracking down evil souls
    that have escaped and returning them to Hell. At first, Sam refuses to accept
    his bizarre fate, but after getting just a glimpse of Satan's temper, Sam
    realizes that breaking a deal with the devil has consequences that are very,
    very bad. Armed with a constantly changing series of vessels ?? starting with a
    Dirt Devil mini-vacuum ?? to collect the escapees, Sam immediately finds that
    the work is dangerous and frightening, even with the goofball help of his
    friends and fellow slackers, Bert "Sock" Wysocki (Tyler Labine, "Boston Legal,"
    "Invasion" and Ben (Rick Gonzalez, "Coach Carter", along with Sock's
    former-girlfriend-turned-paralegal, Josie (Valarie Rae Miller, "Dark Angel".
    Still, as weird and scary as his life has become, Sam is surprised to find that
    he somehow feels good about his newfound "mission" ?? removing evil-doers from
    the world and sending them back where they belong. With his friends and his
    trusty vessel-of-the-week at his side, Sam is ready to face his destiny as the
    Reaper. REAPER is from ABC Studios with executive producers Michelle Fazekas
    ("Ed," "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit", Tara Butters ("Ed," "Law & Order:
    Special Victims Unit", Mark Gordon ("Grey's Anatomy," "Criminal Minds", Deb
    Spera ("Criminal Minds", Tom Spezialy ("Desperate Housewives" and Kevin Smith
    ("Clerks," "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back". Kevin Smith also directed the pilot.

2. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Hope this show is good, I read that its the reason there is no more LOOP and I thought that was a pretty good show.

3. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Very odd plot description. Is is supposed to be kind of a dark sci-fi-ish show, or is it supposed to be sort of funny? I get both vibes from the description.

4. FilmCritic3000

FilmCritic3000 Active Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Think Shaun Of The Dead. Reaper is not Supernatural.

5. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...

Advertisements

Reed's role was recast. Missy Peregyrm (Heroes) will play Andi, so the one that leaked is the first pilot.

6. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    IMDB says Kevin Smith was the Director of this. and so does the first post but I didn't read the whole first post :)

7. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    Indeed he was the director of the pilot episode of Reaper.

8. Dead INside

Dead INside New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Sounds like "Dead like me" meets "Brimstone".

9. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    Dude, does your ) key not work?

10. cditty

cditty Active Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I just watched it and I like it. Rather interesting.

I'll be keeping an eye out for it.

11. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I'd have preferred better casting than Tyler Labine as Sam's friend, but the show was pretty good -- rough in some places, but hopefully it'll flow a little better after they reshoot and reedit various parts.

I also wish they'd have chosen a different first name for the character Bret Harrison plays rather than the same one he has in The Loop.

12. FilmCritic3000

Oct 28, 2004
    Anchorage,...
    I liked it as well. It's got a smart-ass sensibility. I totally agree with others - Reaper does have a Brimstone vibe (but only in the sense of chasing down escaped souls); this is dark comedy for the most part, whereas Brimstone was solemn melancholy.

13. TivoFan

TivoFan Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Northampton, MA
    You need someone with personality to keep that role interesting. And Tyler at least brings a pretty strong personality.

14. minckster

minckster New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Manhattan NYC
    Here's IMDb's synopsis, edited for grammar and clarity:

Throughout Sam's life, he always wondered why his mother (Allison Hossack, "Falcon Beach") and father (Andrew Airlie, "The L Word") were so easy on him and hard on his brother, Keith (Kyle Switzer, "15/Love").

Sam drops out of college and takes a dead-end job, where he wastes most of his time playing video games, while longing to ask out his co-worker Andi (Nikki Reed, "The O.C."). Everything changes in Sam's life when he turns 21 and learns why his parents went so easy on him -- because they sold his soul to the Devil before he was born.

Satan (Ray Wise, "24") explains to Sam that he must serve as the Devil's bounty hunter, tracking down souls that have escaped from Hell. Initially, Sam refuses to accept his fate but soon realizes the grave consequences of breaking a deal with the Dark Prince. Armed with various vessels for collecting the escapees (e.g., a Dirt Devil), Sam finds that the work is dangerous and frightening, even with the help of his goof ball friends and fellow slackers, Bert "Sock" Wysocki (Tyler Labine, "Boston Legal"), Ben (Rick Gonzalez, "Coach Carter"), and Sock's former girlfriend, Josie (Valarie Rae Miller, "Dark Angel").

As bizarre as his life becomes, Sam feels good about his new found "mission" of removing evil souls from the world and sending them back to where they belong. Along with his friends and his vessel of the week, Sam prepares to face his destiny as the "Reaper".

The series is produced by ABC Television Studio in association with The Mark Gordon Company. It has been given a 13 episode initial order by The CW.

15. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Watched it at lunch and I really liked it. Looking forward to more.

16. Warren

Warren Wild Hair

Oct 18, 2001
    Nice. I liked this show. Can't wait to watch the 2nd episode.