Really stupid question

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by GriffithStrife, May 21, 2011.

1. GriffithStrife

GriffithStrife Member

Oct 30, 2010
    If I connect a antenna to my tivo, can I record 4 shows at once 2 from cable 2 from OTA? Thank you.

2. ThreeSoFar'sBro

ThreeSoFar'sBro Sports Nut

Oct 10, 2004
    Macomb Twp., MI
    Nope

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Only 2, 2 off cable or antenna or 1 from each.

4. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    There's really no reason it COULDN'T record from ALL 4 at once. I'm hoping they'll fix this in a future update.

5. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Currently the only devices I know that will do what you want are the Dish Network 722K and 922 Sling Loaded, and yes they can record all 4 channels in HD all at the same time while playing back an HD recording and archiving to the external HDD. However, those two models don't come with the OTA module. It is purchased separately for about $30 and easily slips into the slot.

The earlier 612, 622, and 722 models all come with ONE OTA tuner built-in for a maximum of 3 HD channels recording at the same time.

The forthcoming Dish XiP 813 boxes will supposedly allow a number of USB OTA tuners (at the 813 box or at the clients) to be added to the network of tuners. But we'll have to wait and see how OTA is really handled.

I have to say, the Dish XiP 813 is something that TiVo should have come up with to really put it back on the gold standard of DVR's. Goodness knows the TiVo engineers are smart enough, and my S3 has performed very well, with great stability (no cable card!) for all the things it can do and rarely gets mucked up or freezes. The S3 648 is a well made product.

However, it has been sad seeing TiVo lose its luster year after year, and Tom Rogers was too busy suing everybody to develop a TiVo style XiP 813. Dish, however, has been very innovative the last decade with usually superior features compared with all other MVPD's, and the XiP 813 is easily the best whole home DVR solution with ALL FEATURES in the remote rooms and all trick play and no compromises in the remote rooms unlike any other MVPD.

TiVo, even just adding one more channel to record on the Premiere would have been a giant leap and prevented quite a bit of the disappointment felt by many about the Premiere. I still think my beautiful Series 3 648 is still the Cadillac of all the TiVo's with the Premiere not adding anything to make the S3 seem obsolete. Let's hope there is a Series 5 in the works and that it rocks.

6. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Once concern could be the beating the HDD would take with 4 HD channels being constantly--24/7--written to the HDD, since TiVo never stops recording, even in standby.

7. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    When I first read this I thought the limitation would be the number of tuners in the TiVo (at least in my Series 3). But on second thought, that isn't a limitation because I can record 2 of either cable or OTA, or one of each, simultaneously. So the tuner hardware is there.

I do think it's possible the limitation exists in terms of disk write bandwidth, though (and read if one wants to record 4 at once and watch 1 at the same time), and perhaps also in terms of CPU horsepower as well.

It would be nice, though to record at least three, if not four, at a time. We can hope, but I doubt we'd see this in our current units. Perhaps in future hardware units, yes.

8. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    Ceton sells a Windows 7 cable card tuner that can record 4 channels at a time and are coming out with one that records 6 at a time.

It would be interesting to know just what Tivo is working on for their next product.

9. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    If/when there's a Series 5, it should have at least 4 cable tuners, 4 OTA tuners, and the ability to record from all 8 at once. If necessary, bump the hard drive up to a 7200 RPM SATA 3Gbps.
    Ceton is coming out with a 6 tuner card. Directv is coming out with a 5 tuner HD DVR. If Tivo insists on another 2 tuner DVR, it might as well not even bother.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I could swear that others have described the tuners as 'modules' that can record from cable or OTA.. so it's not a software problem, it's a hardware problem...