Really Annoyed

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by reallyannoyed, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Jan 6, 2008 #1 of 27
    reallyannoyed

reallyannoyed New Member

Jan 6, 2008

Advertisements

If Tivo had been upfront in its marketing materials, I would have realized that wo a cablecard my new Tivo HD box is a worthless hunk of junk.

Now, because I got swamped over the holidays and let the 30 day window expire before trying to set it up, I am stuck with this thing.

2. Jan 6, 2008 #2 of 27
    magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    You're not stuck. Just sell it on craigslist or ebay.

3. Jan 6, 2008 #3 of 27
    cdeckert219

cdeckert219 technogeek

Jan 7, 2006
    San Diego
    Are you serious... you didn't realize it needed cable cards??? In looking at the web site, it seems pretty obvious to me:
    --------------
    Provides Access to Your Digital Cable Programming

Add high-quality entertainment to your home theater without adding clutter. Receive your premium digital cable channels in their full native HD format with CableCARD™ decoders (available from your cable provider). The TiVo® Series3™ HD Digital Media Recorder is also compatible with analog cable and over-the-air digital HD (ATSC). Provides an all-digital connection to your high-end display: HDMI for video, SP/DIF for audio.

4. Jan 6, 2008 #4 of 27
    kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    A) How so? I used mine for quite some time without CC's, and it was far from worthless.

B) Get... CableCards... ?

-Ken

5. Jan 6, 2008 #5 of 27
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area

Advertisements

You get full guide data on all OTA SD/HD digital channels without a CableCard.

You also full guide data on all analog cable channels without a CableCard.

A CableCard is only required to decrypt encrypted cable channels and map guide data to digital cable channels. Without a CableCard, you still get HD and the ability to create manual recordings like DVD recorder.

If you have Comcast, a CableCard should cost you $2/mo or less. If you have Verizon FiOS, a CableCard will cost you $2.99/mo.

6. Jan 7, 2008 #6 of 27
    RNSAMRN

RNSAMRN New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Southern...
    Look, getting cable cards for me was a major hassle that lasted about a week and a half, but I got 'em.

After all was said and done, it was worth the hassle to me.........I LOVE MY TIVO!

If you can't go through with obtaining the cable cards, or don't want to pay whatever your cable company charges, you can certainly sell it on eBay.

Why can't you get the cable cards?

RNSAMRN
    New Jersey

Series 2 Tivo (daughter using)
    Series 3 HDTV (for me)
    Comcast Motorola Dual HD DVR (other daughter using)

7. Jan 7, 2008 #7 of 27
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    1. Anybody who buys something, in particular consumer electronics, and doesn't try it out before the exchange/return period expires, is foolish IMHO.

2. A TiVo without CableCards is still useable. It can get analog cable signals, digital OTA, and analog OTA until the February 2009 cutoff.

8. Jan 7, 2008 #8 of 27
    brettatk

brettatk Thread Killer

Oct 11, 2002
    Powder...
    Only person I'd be annoyed at if I were you is yourself. It was up to you to read the terms and conditions and obviously you did not.

9. Jan 7, 2008 #9 of 27
    bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern...
    I used mine for nearly a year without cablecards, but if you're still unhappy, I'll pay you $80 for your "worthless hunk of junk", assuming it is still in like-new condition.

Hey, I just made your hunk of junk worth $80! Watch me as I turn a sow's ear into a lovely silk purse! ;)

10. BanditWS6

BanditWS6 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    If you'd done even a hint of research before dropping hundreds of dollars on a product, you'd have realized that yourself.

Not that I agree with the "hunk of junk" assertion; analog looks better on the Series3/TiVo HD's tuners than I've ever seen it before.

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    nah, it has happened to me before with PC stuff and not supporting latest version of windows. however I was never foolish enough to post about it on a public forum ;)

get cablecards or sell it for 225$ to someone..

12. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    Just plug in a HD antenna to get your local HD channels. You'll me amazed with the picture quality. Don't give up on it.

13. davecramer74

davecramer74 New Member

Mar 17, 2006
    i hear ya. My sister in law almost bought her husband a tivo. He has directv. She had no idea they didnt work with satelite. Luckily my wife had mentioned it to me and i let her know not to get it for him, its worthless to him. Contrary to the internet geeks who read forums all day, Most people assume its going to work with sat or cable like the old ones. Go figure? Terrible assumption that tivo would support the same stuff with their new products. :rolleyes:

14. cowboys2002

cowboys2002 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Cypress, TX
    No such thing as an "HD Antenna". :D

15. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Maybe Tivo should have put something on the outside of the box that indicated that this was a cable-only product.

OH, that's right! They did!
    "Maximize your HD cable experience"

Attached Files:

16. TexasAg

TexasAg New Member

Apr 2, 2006

Don't go interrupting a perfectly good, baseless rant with your "facts" and your "logic." :)

17. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    Even if you don't read forums all day, a little research goes a long way, and takes very little time. Right on the site it says:

and I know it says it in the paperwork, it might even say it on the box, I can't recall.

18. magnum68

magnum68 New Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Pembroke...
    The literature from my antenna's box says:
    Amplified HDTV outdoor/indoor directional antenna. :p

19. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    It does.

;)

20. BanditWS6

BanditWS6 Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Yep, it does say it on the box, in the "What else you need" section. Where CableCARDs are also listed, I might add.

I can't remember the last time I made a big-bucks purchase based only on marketing materials. It's like buying a car sight unseen and then having a fit that it requires premium gasoline because that fact wasn't stated in the TV commercials.