Reallly Like My Premier XL/Almost Cut The Cord

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by elwaylite, May 29, 2011.

1. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Had the TiVo XL for several weeks now, love it. Im not using the HD menus, because I love the speed on the old menus, no biggie for me.

I've been experimenting with the 1080p/24 Amazon TV and Movie file downloads, and man the PQ is outstanding. I just downgraded my Satellite service to Dish's America plan ($25 month) mainly to have a few channels for a rainy day and ESPN/ESPN2.

I'm probably going to use Amazon VOD downloads for just about everything I can, including my movie watching. Im buying 3D flicks now because I have too, but the 1080p/24 movies I can download (new releases) look great IMO, and I just keep 2 on the HDD at a time, to watch whenever I want. Cutting the cord was not as much about price, as it is PQ. My locals stink, and I dont have stuff like BBCAHD and AMCHD, so Amazon works well. All in all, I'll pay about the same as I was in a month, and gain better overall PQ without commercials. I also love how when you buy a Season Pass at the beginning, Amazon will auto download the episode once it is out every week.

I know some will feel that Amazon for a movie is overpriced compared to Netflix, and the 1080p/24 5mbps encode is not up to Blu standards, and both are true, but it offers convenience for me and the PQ is very good, as well as having a 5.1 soundtrack.

All in all, the TiVo premier is kinda the hub of my setup now. Once someone ups the encode a hair on the movies (I doubt most really care now;Have several friends that use the 1080p VOD movies from Directv and love it) and they figure a way to throw in HD audio, I imagine Blu will be in trouble. Id' use Vudu HDX overall, but my HSI connection is not good enough to stream it, so downloaded files work much better for me.