Reality show commercials - giving away too much?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

I think there is a really bad trend happening with reality shows that the ads for upcoming episodes are giving away key plot points. As an example, during the coming attractions of Survivor at the end of the last episode, they talk about something key happening with one of the survivors, but they don't give away who it is. During an ad for the episode shown during The Amazing Race, they actually show WHO that survivor is. Isn't the mystery of who that person is, and what is going to happen to them ENOUGH to get someone to tune in? This seems to be happening with a lot of shows lately and it's REALLY annoying. Anyone else notice this? Am I wrong that it wasn't always like this, but something new in the last year or two?

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Good point...that's why I try to skip those parts thanks to the DVR. :)

3. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Can't ALWAYS do that though, especially while watching live sports, and in this case with TAR being SO late due to the NFL, we had to watch live.

4. wdave

wdave New Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Stevenson, MD
    Why? We sat down to watch, noticed it was 1:15 delayed, made sure there was enough padding, and said, "Reconvene here at 9:30", which was 15 minutes after it would start, allowing us to skip commercials and finish at about the same time the show would finish.

5. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA

Advertisements

It's not just reality shows---it happens to many, many shows. I can only imagine that there are people who don't watch every week and the shows are trying to convince them to tune in.

Me, I generally watch every episode of a show until it ends or I decide I don't want to watch any more...

6. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I had other things recording that this would have bumped into if I padded. I just watched it on basic cable which isn't hooked up to a DVR in my house.

7. Alpinemaps

Alpinemaps New Member

Jul 25, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Happened last week with TAR, too. At the end of TAR, they said someone lost their travel documents. The commercials during the week told us who it was.

8. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    I knew this was going to be about Survivor.... Saw the same commercial, wondered the same thing.

9. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    I know the commercial you're referencing is very blatant (I heard it, didn't see it, didn't go back to check it), but usually the teaser commercials are mostly misleading or vague at best.

Regarding the Survivor commercial:
    Did they show which Russell it was?

10. jradosh

jradosh Newlywed

Jul 31, 2001
    Herndon,...
    answer:
    yes they did

11. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    Thanks... I will attempt to avoid that commercial. :)

12. JLucPicard

JLucPicard Active Member

Jul 8, 2004
    West St....
    ESPN is running coverage of the World Series of Poker tournament. Once the tournament gets down to the final 9, they take a "break" and the final 9 reconvene in November (once all the pre-recorded coverage has aired).

During their coverage of this very tournament, they run an ad that basically says "Catch Player X (a rather well-known player) at the final table when the November 9 meet". Even when FFing through commercials, seeing that face could make someone hit 'play' again.

I've also seen in the past where Biggest Loser has run commercials showing what is coming up on the next broadcast that really could be best left unspoiled.

13. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think this thread is a rerun.. and my following point definitely is.

Many shows give spoilers about the *upcoming segment* before a commercial break. Made for TV movies/miniseries seem to do it a lot too. I usually kick it into FF when they start talking about 'coming up on'.. or start hitting 30 sec skip.

14. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    For some reason it annoys me less with movies and such. I think it's because it's a "reality" show. We invest time into seeing the many suprises they have in store for us, especially when they bump it as a coming attraction at the end of the previous episode. Then they just GIVE IT AWAY during their commercials. Ya know, it's just as easy to say, see the surprising twist to get us excited rather than SHOWING us the actual twist in the ad. If I was a casual fan, that would make me NOT watch since I already know what will happen.

15. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    On MTV The RW/RR Challenge used to actually show commercials for the next episode right in the middle of the current episode. On the show, they would be heading into an elimination challenge between Pete and Joe, and then cut to commercial, they would show a commercial for the next episode, with Pete clearly visible, ruining the rest of the episode.

This is almost as annoying as when ESPN covers up the ball/puck/whatever with their on-screen graphics during a highlight. I was watching a few weeks back and they showed an "amazing" putt by Tiger Woods, except the stupid graphic telling you what event it was covered the ball and the hole, so you were just staring at grass and Tiger's reaction. Grr, doesn't anyone proof this stuff?

16. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    Annoying. I would think they'd rather fill up that time with another commercial.
    Of course it's coming up, and of course I'm going to watch it. If I didn't want to watch it, I wouldn't be sitting there watching the "coming up on...", I'd be on another channel watching another show.

Complete waste of airtime.

-Mike

17. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    Food Network is always spoiling their shows with ads for the next episode. If you don't get out of there fast enough you can see exactly who has been eliminated on the current episode before it happens.

I've seen that on Top Chef also.

18. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    My wife loves to see previews. If I have the peanut, I'll stop the playback before it hits them. Otherwise I have to close my eyes and hold my ears singing "la la la" so I don't hear it. She doesn't seem to mind, though.

-Mike