ReadyDLNA no longer working

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by hershey4, Feb 9, 2021.

1. Feb 9, 2021 #1 of 21
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation

Advertisements

I keep some archived Tivo shows on a USB drive that is plugged into a Netgear router with DLNA support. I started this combo with a Netgear WND3800 many years ago and recently upgraded to a NighthawK R7000P and was pleased to see the new router had the ReadyDLNA in MyShows with no intervention needed. Love when that happens!! Seamless!

But now it is few months later and ReadyDLNA has disappeared from MyShows. The drive is fine as i can see everything on it via a laptop, but Tivo doesn't list it. I've rebooted, reset the router, but still doesn't show up.

I also recently brushed off Tivo Desktop on my PC and found I could offload some more shows to my PC (and ultimately to external drive). but before I did that, I noticed the Tivo no longer showing ReadyDLNA so stopped that project quickly!

Could a Tivo upgrade have affected this? I think I am at an up-to-date version: 20.7.4D.rc8_759-2-150

Any other troubleshooting tips?

I could decrypt the .Tivo shows and watch on laptop or something, but more work and I think that loses some resolution. Would prefer to watch on TV via Tivo.

Tivo is Premier Series 4.

p.s. novice here, go easy on lingo and acronyms please!

2. Feb 9, 2021 #2 of 21
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I can't say for sure what your issue is, but your Tivo version should still see a supported Netgear device, but that's not saying for sure that the Netgear may have changed it's code to no longer support the Tivo, ReadyDLNA isn't magic however, the Tivo support in it is not promised to last forever, you may have to roll back to an earlier version.

I can assure you that the TE4 version 21.x is not compatable with the Netgear ReadyDLNA, but you've dodged that bullet.

3. Feb 9, 2021 #3 of 21
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    AFAIK, Netgear doesn't upgrade automatically. I think Tivo is the only thing that could have changed.

4. Feb 9, 2021 #4 of 21
    hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I checked Netgear. Firmware version is unchanged. Tivo set up.
    upload_2021-2-9_20-29-15.png

I thought my Tivo version was fairly recent. Are there Release Notes anywhere that show contents?

These automatic updates are such a double-edged sword. How many times they improve matters and how many times they make matters worse is not usually to my benefit.

5. Feb 9, 2021 #5 of 21
    KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Seattle

Advertisements

Are you saying you rebooted and reset the router or rebooted the Tivo and reset the router?

6. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Tivo version would only matter if you had updated to TE4/21.x, I have yet to see an issue in TE3 software on a Premiere or Roamio, but that's not 100% that it's the same for anyone, viewing the Premiere in the basement may take some time.

You did put your Tivo MAK into the new router? I know it wants that to be sure it's on the right account.

7. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    both. As a matter of fact, Tivo needed a reboot just last night. Of course, I looked again and no dlna.

hmmmm... I don't recall doing that. It was back in September so the memory may be not up to snuff! ha ha . This is the extent of Media Server settings. Do you think the MAK should replace the router model number? Or the name of the drive? Now that I think about it, not sure if the router model makes sense there.

upload_2021-2-10_8-49-5.png

8. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Unfortunately that's not how the ReadyNAS implementation handles it.
    If I click "Activate" for a Tivo it then asks for MAK.
    upload_2021-2-10_9-23-56.png

9. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Media Server Name is definitely router name not mak. The "Note" is odd though. The access path does not include R7000P. It is \\readyshare\USB_Storage

upload_2021-2-10_9-34-1.png

10. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Is that screenshot from your router? I don't understand.

11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's not from a router, that's why I said in my disclaimer that's it's from the ReadyNAS implementation of ReadyDLNA, it's the same core code for Tivo access, just in their NAS line, but it would need the MAK somewhere to be able to backup files from the Tivo and to Share since they have to be on the same account.

12. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Oh. I guess I don't understand what ReadyNAS is. From my perspective, all ReadyDLNA does (or all I have it do or need it to do) is playback read-only from the drive on the router to Tivo MyShows. Nothing is backed up from the Tivo or shared from the Tivo. One direction only.

13. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    ReadyNAS is the Netgear NAS product which also supports Tivo, and I'm sure uses the same API to offer Tivo hooks. Just because you only do playback doesn't mean it might not be capable of backup from the units.

However as far as I know, you need to use a Tivo MAK with any solution to have it be listed as "being on the same account" or it won't let the Tivo play from it.

14. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Not according to this netgear ReadyDLNA article.

https://kb.netgear.com/24314/How-do-I-specify-ReadyDLNA-media-server-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-router

Somewhere (can't find it now) I read that Tivo searches for DLNA-enabled devices. That would be enough and not require a MAK.

THe part that's still weird is that I know I saw it working since I got the new router. If I had put a MAK in it (but I believe 99.9% I didn't), it would still be there.

I'm going to see if I can find some Netgear logs to turn on somehow. Maybe a clue will pop up.

Thanks for trying.

15. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Advanced/Administration/Logs.

16. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Thanks. Sadly I looked there and no startup/dlna references. I also found an old log from my old router and nothing there about dlna either. I guess the handshake wasn't log-worthy.

17. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Before I disconnected the old router, I took a pic of all my videos so I could check them on the other side. As I browsed deeply to see what was there I was surprised that ALL videos on that drive showed up, not just .Tivo files. That drive is just an archive drive. It is 256gb. I got a new 4TB that I wanted to migrate to with more Tivo shows, but not now.

upload_2021-2-10_12-28-14.png

upload_2021-2-10_12-29-25.png

Edit: I removed saying not positive saw this with new router. I am now positive. I remember seeing the menu item with the R7000P in it.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  18. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'm surprised you could access it without a MAK, with the version I use, you can't.
    Any possibility you still have the old router? I'd consider setting it up as an access point, not a router and seeing if you can then see it from the Tivo units.

19. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    OMG!!! I am soooooo sorry. The drive did show up. Not sure if I did anything or I just didn't notice before. It doesn't say Videos on ReadyDLNA: R7000P like the snapshot of old one. But when I looked again I saw a fairly small discrete listing "Videos on R7000P" at the bottom of the list. Barely noticeable when I was looking for something quite different!!!

But wait, the story gets better! I clicked on it, but none of my shows are there. The "videos on R7000P" is just a collection of file folders with no movies in them. I took the USB drive out of router and attached it to my laptop to take a look. There are no .Tivo files!!! I had moved the .tivo files to the laptop to copy them to the new 4TB and forgot about it! I didn't think I had deleted them, but apparently I did. Not like me... I save everything, but whateva...

Sorry sorry sorry.

But wait, the story gets better! So I started copying them back to the original 256GB drive. The drive is attached to my laptop which is on my local network via wifi. It said it would take 5 hours so I settle down in front of the TV for the night. I see that the MyShows Menu still shows "Videos on R7000P". I assume its stale because the drive is not attached to the router. But I click on it anyhow just to see. OMG... there are my Tivo shows that are being copied in the other room. The dlna-enabled router is in a totally different room. wireless DLNA! Magical!

upload_2021-2-10_19-7-45.png

20. hershey4

hershey4 Member

May 31, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    Was wondering how this could be, so I did a little research. I couldn't find anything in my laptop specs about DLNA, but under the covers apparently it is a DLNA server.

https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/

And by default too. This is a fairly new laptop and I haven't touched much of anything on it.

This may be obvious to you techies, but I'm in awe right now! Now I have to rethink my whole strategy!