read-only file system error?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Fl1pp3r, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Fl1pp3r

Fl1pp3r New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Hello all!
    This is my first time upgrading my series2 tivo, and with a 160G harddrive. I've been following the Hinsdale guide and have gotten to creating the small backup.
    I've connected drives per Hinsdale
    hda: c drive
    hdb: upgrade drive
    hdc: Tivo A
    hdd: cd-rom
    I mounted my c drive and typed in the last command: mfsbackup -f 9999 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc
    the next prompt i was given was: "/mnt/dos/tivo.bak:Read-only file system" :eek:
    Mfs is reporting the appropriate size drive so i don't think I need Qunlock.
    What do I do next? :confused:
    It was all going so smoothly.
    Thanks!
    :)

2. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    It might help if you were tell us how the drives are connected.

3. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Do you have a FAT32 partition on your C drive, and do you have your C drive mounted to /mnt/dos?

4. Fl1pp3r

Fl1pp3r New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    i don't have a FAT32 partition on my c drive. I thought my c drive was mounted and i did try to remount, just in case it wasn't, and Mfs told me drive was already mounted.

5. funtoupgrade

funtoupgrade New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    No FAT32 partition is your problem. If you read all the fine print in Hinsdale you will see that the backup needs to go into a FAT32 partition to work correctly.

6. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    You are probably running XP with a NTFS partition try making the backup to the new drive. NOTE: Never boot WinXP with a bootable TiVo drive installed.

1. Boot your WinXX with the new replacement drive installed make a FAT32 partition on the new drive a 1 Gig partition will be fine.
    2. Boot MFSTools CD with the new replacement drive and the original TiVo drive Mount the new drive and make your backup. (for this step the WinXX drive is removed/unplugged)
    3. Boot WinXX with the original TiVo drive removed copy the backup to the Windows drive and/or burn to CD.

You can now test your backup by restoring to the new drive.
    Continue with the upgrade.

7. Fl1pp3r

Fl1pp3r New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks funtoupgrade!
    Thanks very much to HomeUser for the step by step for this newb.
    It is currently through half the backup process. Hopefully no probs from here. I'm sure i can screw something up!
    keep you posted!
    Thanks again fellas!

8. Fl1pp3r

Fl1pp3r New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Success! Thanks guys! I can't wait to upgrade again!
    :)