?? RE TiVo Box use with Security Cameras

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jabez_reynolds, Jul 12, 2007.

1. jabez_reynolds

jabez_reynolds New Member

Dec 26, 2003
    Texas

Advertisements

OK before everyone gets all up in arms about this, let me first tell you that we have decided to get rid of our TiVo boxes. We will be going with Fios and using their DVR's. They both have lifetime service so we will probably sell both of them and then buy a TiVo box without service from someone else to use for our cameras.

Here's my question... Currently we have a VCR recorder in use with the cameras. The cameras are motion activated so the system uses what I think is called an IR sensor to send a signal to the VCR to start to record and stop the recording. Does anyone know if a TiVo box will do the same, if we connect the IR sensor to the TiVo box remote window thing (like the VCR)?? We are thinking that this would be much better than using a tape that records over itself every few hours... at least we would have 80 hours or so of recording before it starting recording over previous images.

Any thoughts on this??
    Thanks

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Although others have used series 1 TiVos with cameras, I know of no-one using IR motion detectors to start them recording.

3. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    You'll need an old S1. You can't record on a S2 w/o service.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can't start and stop a TiVo like a VCR.

5. jabez_reynolds

Dec 26, 2003
    Texas

Advertisements

Thanks for the information. To clarify... would it be possible to use one our existing S2 boxes (with lifetime service) for the cameras?? If so, does that mean I would have to keep it connected to a phone line and cable or could I just do the initial set up then use a wireless connection for it to update without having to have it hooked up to cable??

Thanks again for your help. I'm just trying to weigh my options here. I could just go buy a new VCR recorder but I like the fact that with the TiVo box I could record continuously for days at a time (large hard drive) instead of just catching "activity" spotted on the cameras with a VCR.

6. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  7. jabez_reynolds

Dec 26, 2003
    Texas
    Jim, thanks so much for the link. In fact Smart Home is where I bought my camera system from so I am very familiar with their products but I would like to use my TiVo box if I am able because it is already paid for and not being used.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Just connect the camera and set a bunch of repeating manual recordings.

9. jabez_reynolds

Dec 26, 2003
    Texas
    Good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks