re-scan channels without losing settings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by gteague, Jan 11, 2012.

1. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    if i scan my channels to try to pick up a missing channel, will i lose all my settings in the channel list screen? in other words, will it set all my channels to 'received' again even though i had them unchecked?

thanks,

/guy

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, mostly add any, if found.

Same applies to guided setup.

3. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    thanks!

/guy

4. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    when i tried re-scanning channels with my elite it told me i couldn't do this with a tuning adaptor.

/guy

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I don't think "scan" applies to digital cable setups as the channel list is provided by the CableCARD. Scanning for channels is only applicable to analog cable and OTA.

6. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's right. Just adding that if you have a Tuning Adapter then the channel list is obtained using the Tuning Adapter instead of CableCard.

7. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    tks guys. time-warner says the 'missing channel' that i was wanting to pick up (nat'l geo wild ch772) isn't available to me as it's in a tier or pkg that you can only get with their dvr. sounds kind of iffy to me, but the channel is available on one of the sd shelves (ch2xx), so i can view or record it if i can live with sd quality.

/guy

8. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Sounds like maybe it's an SDV channel, which would require a tuning adapter for your TiVo. Telling you that you need their own DVR to get the channel is a questionable business practice (but unfortunately a common one).

9. gteague

gteague golftango

Apr 1, 2007
    dfw (euless)
    well, i do have a tuning adaptor and the funny thing is that this channel first showed up in the hd tier (7xx) about a year ago, but in sd mode. i used it quite often since old episodes of 'dog whisperer' were on there. then they did an sdv lineup change and i was unable to receive it at all in any quality. now it seems they've added it back into the sd tier (2xx) but i'll be unable to get it in hd.

/guy

10. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    The Premiere Elite doesn't have a tuner, so there is nothing for it to scan. :)