Re-invent as a OTT Streamer

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Series3Sub, May 27, 2011.

1. Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    It seems that adding to TiVo's problem is that many potential subscribers see TiVo as just a DVR. While TiVo has tried to market TiVo as a "Media Recorder" it just doesn't seem to sink in to people, especially those who are seeking the new, hot OTT streamers for access to Netflix etc. It is hard to change one's view of a box that has spent the last decade promoting itself as a DVR.

Perhaps, TiVo should re-invent itself to the retail market as a streaming media box like Roku, etc. The current $99 price for a Premier puts it at a competitive price point with other OTT streamers. Oh, and, of course, they could point out the convenience of a built in HDD to smoothly playback much of that content or to watch it again without affecting internet data caps or internet traffic. Of course, the TiVo media steamer can also record cable TV or OTA TV if one still wants access to their favorite broadcast networks content--IN FULL 1080 HD (Or proper 720P) with out the extra cost of HD lite from a streaming site or the extra cost of greater internet bandwidth for those TV shows.

Essentially a media streaming box with more options. Yes, the monthly charge is going to make it a harder sell than those that do not require a monthly service fee, but one can tout the extras and greater flexibility and of having ONE BOX. Although the "one box" is the current marketing of TiVo, the problem is that it approaches it from being a DVR rather than speaking to those seeking media streamers--that's where the growth is occurring--that for a bit extra, they can get so much more and greater flexibility.

I know, Tom seems to be looking at the MSO's and licensing TiVo software and ditching the retail market as the future of TiVo. However, I can't help but think that in this world of things that people don't realize they need until marketing tells them they need it, TiVO couldn't approach the retail end form a different, growing, and younger, perhaps more relevant angle. Yes, TiVo should improve the interface for streaming, but it is clunky because they still have the DVR as primary and streaming as secondary. I'm suggesting they start putting streaming as primary and DVR as secondary, but still working well: The TiVo Premiere OTT media streamer . . . and yeah, it's a DVR, too.

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    "ott"?

3. sabixx

sabixx New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    isnt this kinda what the permier was ment to be? I dont think this is much different then what they've been trying to do, but they've just done a really bad job at it. they pushed the universal search hard and lets be honest its not that good. the slide remote should of been ready to go from day one and shipped with every permier. you cant ship a box with searching as its main feature and not have qwerty text input out of the box. its a dealbreaker imo.

and thats without getting into the fact that they'd be selling much less attractive versions of the apps already on other boxs. Netflix is worse on the permire then it is on the roku,same with hulu,same for the ps3,for the 360.

4. SMWinnie

SMWinnie Dis Member

Aug 17, 2002
    Peninsulam...
    "Over The Top." Video delivery over standard open network protocols. IMO, it's a poorly-defined term but is supposed to cover Apple TV or Roku/Netflix and exclude dedicated IPTV like UVerse.

5. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why isn't it OTN? "over the network"
    OTT is well, dumb...

6. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Agree with everything you've said, but I mentioned all that in the OP. My point is that they need to start promoting it--frankly, even just calling it--as a streaming media box and design it as an OTT device FIRST (better interface a natural consequence) and DVR second. They should just start referring to themselves as a Roku, Boxee device so they are mentioned in the same breath. Right now, they aren't. I think many people don't even consider TiVo because they still think of it as a DVR while Roku, etc. are fresh without a legacy of marketing. I think the poor "job" is in promoting the OTT features as extras to the DVR rather than just calling it a media streamer primarily with the benefits of a DVR second.

I just think that part of Tivo's problem is how many people still view it as a DVR first. The monthly subscription can be touted as providing all the conveniences of the internal HDD and OTA recording for allowing true "cutting the cord" experience.

7. larrs

larrs Movie Fan-Addict

May 2, 2005
    DFW
    You gloss over one thing: those monthly subscription fees which Roku doesn't have are pretty high for what you get. The box literally does nothing without them- unless maybe it will access online content? Not sure, never tried it. Now it is hundreds of dollars more than the Roku.

If I could tune channels on my cable card (even without guide data) and use MRV and access online content (Pandora, Netflix, etc.), you can bet I'd ditch one of my monthly subs- that is all the box is used for. I never record anything on that box.

8. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Not that, either. It will let you play back or delete existing recordings, and work as a dumb (guideless) cable box and/or ATSC receiver, with no recording, but with trick play of the live buffer. I think that's it.

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OTT is an old term used to refer to cable boxes. It was a reference to the fact that people use to place them on top of their TVs. It has nothing to do with how the content is received.

Dan

10. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the same - each is 99$

the difference - TiVo has a sub cost

Most people are clear that TiVo can deliver media other than what is recorded. What TiVo needs to do is let the media features work regardless of sub. Though without ability to record cable I would have no need for a TiVo.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    oh that's disheartening, I was hoping someone was trying to be trendy and failed miserably. I still don't like it :)

12. Series3Sub

Mar 14, 2010
    Good points cited by all, but I think we have to be aware that it would be about enticing new subs (current subs views are a part of lecacy and was purchased a DVR primarily, and as such current subs see little value in a change in emphasis as an OTT box) or getting the younger folk who are aiming for the Roku, Boxee to consider a TiVo if it were marketed as PRIMARILY a steaming media box. Some people already make an investment with an external HDD for some streaming media boxes. TiVo has one built in.

The big justification to marketing for the monthly fee could be use to record OTA and NOT with the diminished experience of Hulu Plus (extra cost) or other pay OTT services to provide the best "cutting the cord" experience with the OTA recording option.

Well, it is just an idea to get TiVo more relevant to the times and really do something about their really bad slide in the retail market. But, it may be there is nothing to prevent that. Too bad because TiVo works quite well as an OTA only device and I would like to see such a good service (with its warts) still in the retail market to provide a good quality alternative to OTA recording. Heaven help us if the Channel Master OTA DVR is all that is left in the end. I just don't like the idea of TiVo seeming to give-up on the retail market when they might be hope. I feel that no matter how great a device a Series 5 may be (are they even working on a next gen TiVo retail box?), it may not be enough to prevent the retail market slide beyond repair.