Re-assembly after Skyinstall

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by C.C.Johnson, Nov 20, 2007.

1. C.C.Johnson

C.C.Johnson Mad 'bout it

Jul 5, 2002

Advertisements

I have just had Sky installed and am in the process of re-assembling the a/v cupboard, but notice that the coax from the minidish now has a screw-on socket rather than the push-on type I had expected to find. Equally this connects to the Sky box on a dedicated jack rather than via the push-socket labelled aerial.

I know (from reading manual) that I have to connect the cable from the aerial directly to the Tivo and then wire up the rest from there.

Is it simply a matter of changing the screw-on coax jack to a push on one (owing to not having a wall plate)?

many thanks

Paul

2. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech

Don't follow the TiVo manual. In most cases it's either outdated or plain wrong. Connect a SCART from the SKY 'TV' socket & connect it to the TiVo 'AUX' socket. Then connect from the TiVo 'TV' SCART socket to your TV. If you have any other bits of kit you want to connect such as a VCR or DVDR then reply & you'll get an answer.

Martin

3. C.C.Johnson

C.C.Johnson Mad 'bout it

Jul 5, 2002
    Yep, thanks. Got that bit OK.

I am currently running with the minidish(aerial) feed into Tivo's aerial "in" socket and re-running guided set up now,
    We'll see how it goes?

Paul

4. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech
    I think there is some confusion here. When you say you have the Minidish aerial fed into the TiVo do you expect to get a SKY signal? This wont happen because you need to go through the SKY STB (Set Top Box) as the TiVo just has a single anologue tuner. If you have SKY? follow this;

Minidish feed => SKY Aerial In (Screw connection)
    SKY TV SCART => TiVo AUX SCART
    TiVo TV SCART => Television SCART

That is the correct way for SKY. If you are trying to view Freeview or Analogue TV then;

Aerial feed (Plug connector) => TiVo Aerial In
    TiVo TV SCART => Television SCART

If you do not have a television with a SCART socket then;

Aerial feed (RF) (Plug connector) => TiVo Aerial In (RF)
    TiVo Aerial Out (RF) => Television Aerial In (RF)

Post exactly what your set up is & we can get you sorted.

Martin

EDIT: Don't use the RF leads, use SCART for the best possible picture quality

5. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005

Advertisements

the mini dish doesn't work like an aerial. It HAS to be plugged into the satellite in on the sky box. The aerial in on the Tivo is ONLY for standard rooftop aerials. The frequencies are all different, plus the fact that all the channels on sky are digitally encoded so you need the sky box to decode them. The ONLY way to connect the system is like this

DISH => Skybox screw connector => scart lead from TV socket on sky box to AUX socket on TiVo => Tivo => scart lead from TV socket on TiVo to scart socket on TV.
    Any other way will not work.

If you've cut off the screw on connector from you're minidish, I'm afraid to say but, you're screwed :p

Unless you have the crimping tool to reattach it, you're going to have to call out sky again to fit a new one for you.

6. C.C.Johnson

C.C.Johnson Mad 'bout it

Jul 5, 2002
    OK.............looks like I might have scr***ed up, BUT all is not lost as the screw connector on the end of the minidish feed will no require crimping as it is a simple type and I can re-connect.

So.......... What do I have?

Very simple I hope

: One TV - Plasma with 2 scarts
    1 sky box Thompson
    1 Tivo
    Enough scart leads to hang myself with if i can't get this sorted before the kids come home !!

One other thing........... What the hell do you do with those IR wands? Which one of the 2 do you treat as the front one and which the rear ??
    Where do you stick them and when Tivo guided set up asks you to press 10-15 times on channel this, that or the other at fast, medium or slow speeds, is all that necessary?

I really appreciate the assistance guys !!

Paul

7. martink0646

martink0646 New Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Wisbech

OK Paul, now we are getting somewhere. Take the feed from the Minidish & connect it to the Thompson SKY STB using the screw connector. Connect a SCART cable from the SKY 'TV' socket & connect it to the TiVo 'AUX' SCART socket. Finally, connect a SCART cable from the TiVo TV SCART socket to the Plasma's SCART socket. It doesn't matter which one but usually No.1 one as that will definitely be RGB capable.

Now place ONE of the IR wands in front of the IR window of the SKY STB. If you are not sure where this is it is usually where the LED flashes when you press a key on the remote. I just lay the flat part of the wand on top of the STB & stick it down with BluTack. Just leave the other end down the back.

Then rerun the guided setup. Hope that helps.

Martin

8. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005

You're in good hands now. These instructions are good, however, you don't have to use just one of the IR wands for the sky box. My VM box definitely works better when I use both right next to each other. Some people say having one ontop and one on the bottom of the box works well too. Experiment AFTER you've got it working to see what works best.

9. C.C.Johnson

C.C.Johnson Mad 'bout it

Jul 5, 2002
    Brilliant you two.

I have just reconnected the minidish feed jack (oops !!) andI am getting a good signal into the Sky STB.

Re-running quided setup at the moment with about 30 minutes before the kids get home.............quick hide the surplus scart leads !!!!

many thanks again.

Will update

Paul

10. mikeyp

mikeyp New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Excellent. You're welcome. Let us know how you get on and enjoy!

11. Milhouse

Milhouse Member

Sep 15, 2001
    South...
    Regarding the IR wands, I personally find the "front blaster" method works just fine with my TiVo and Sky STB, and I don't use the wands at all - of course this is dependent on where you locate your STB in relation to your TiVo (my STB is located vertically between my AV rack and the wall, with my TiVo in the rack).

12. Automan

Automan Ex TiVo User

Oct 29, 2000
    South...
    It is a shame we cannot get a Tivo in the UK with a direct Minidish input and of course viewing card slot :(

Perhaps next year?

Automan.