RCN Tivo Premiere Losing Channels

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Tina, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    I've had 2 RCN Tivo Premiere boxes for about a year now. Both have been flawless. Last weekend I noticed that I had lost 3 Showtime HD channels on both boxes. A few days later, both also lost Comedy Central HD. I get a message that says "Searching for signal on this cable channel." I have tried rebooting both boxes multiple times. I have checked the signal on the channels, which gives me varied information. Sometimes it will show no signal on either tuner. Sometimes it will show 90-93% on one tuner and nothing on the other. If I switch tuners and check again, I get the same signal info, only in reverse. Neither tuner will display the channels.

Incidentally, I received the upgrade to 14.8 a few weeks ago. Could this be related?

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. HarryD

HarryD New Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I'd call RCN tech support... what's your signal strength?

3. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    I'm currently waiting for Tier 3 Tech Support to call me back.
    My signal strength was detailed in my original post above.

4. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  5. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    Thank you for the link. I did not know about the other forum. I've posted my question there also.

6. PHTM

PHTM New Member

May 24, 2003
    OK, USA
  7. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  8. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    PHTM, were you able to get these channels previously? I've had no problem until about 2 weeks ago (around the time RCN pushed out the software update). My question posted on the dslreports forum has received ZERO replies. I've got a technician coming out tomorrow morning, but I don't have high hopes. I've not had a technician out since my install last year and I think I new more about the the install than he did.

9. PHTM

PHTM New Member

May 24, 2003
    OK, USA
    Yes some of the channels worked until they changed #s.
    The rest were new channels.

10. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    My RCN tech has come and gone after spending the entire day at my house. No resolution. RCN is dumbfounded. I'm now missing 12 HD channels.

11. innocentfreak

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Have you tried the box in another room to see if maybe it is an issue with the signal on that cable/outlet?

12. Tina

Tina New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Virginia
    Yes. It's actually occurring on 2 boxes simultaneously. The tech tried everything today. Pairing/unpairing cards, swapping TiVo box for new one with new card. She even ran a line directly from outside to the box (both new and old) and got the same error message. It's now being referred to the line folks. So far, I'm the only one reporting this problem in the area.