RCN tech didn't do anything with host IDs. Am I hosed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by rlcarr, Aug 18, 2008.

1. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    I just had RCN install two S-cards in my TiVoHD (I wanted a M-card but they said they didn't have any).

During the install, the tech never took down the host IDs or anything like that (didn't even ask to see the screen). I asked him about it but he looked like I had two heads.

Both cards came up, and before he left I went through a whole bunch of stations and everything seemed to be coming in fine (RCN in my area has encrypted everything but the local OTAs).

I never checked the "Conditional Access" screen because I didn't know I should and (obviously) the tech knew/cared nothing about it. I'm now at work and can't check it.

According to the "CC Install FAQ" sticky thread in this forum, it is imperative that the host ID/card ID association be entered into the cableco's computers.

So, am I just going to be hosed soon? And does anyone who's gone through this with RCN know what magic words/etc. to give to the techs when calling up to get it fixed?

2. rlcarr

rlcarr Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    After checking the Conditional Access menu, I see that both of my cards are "Subscribed", but neither of them are paired ("Host Validation: Unknown").

According to TiVo's website, this means they can decrypt encrypted channels (which they are doing) but will not be allowed to receive copy-protected channels or programs until they are paired.

Does RCN have any of them?

And if so, how painful has it been to go through RCN tech support to get the pairing done? Do they have any people with a clue about CableCARD issues?

3. roto

roto Member

Dec 11, 2001
    New Haven, CT
    As long as you are receiving all of your channels, I wouldn't worry about it. I had RCN in New York for awhile, and they never did any of the paring/host ID steps when activating my cablecards and I had no issues with receiving channels.

Apparently for whatever reason, RCN doesn't require pared cablecards to decrypt/display content. It does make things more convenient for them since there is less involved to setup and support. I've dealt with cablecards for several providers now, and it always seemed to be the paring step which caused any of the issues I ever had. Having no paring requirement was also pretty convenient for me as well, as I could (and did) move cards between devices with no issues.

--Todd