RCN Digital Crush Somerville/Boston

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sirbob, Dec 16, 2008.

1. sirbob

sirbob New Member

Apr 8, 2008

Advertisements

I'm a RCN subscriber in Somerville MA and have been awaiting the 'Digital Crush' with a mix of anticipation and dread for awhile now. It would seem it has occurred this morning for the Somerville area as when I turned on my HD Tivo it received no cable channels (or at least, not the 6 random cable channels I tried), just antenna, whereas the other room's RCN cable box was fine and dandy. I reran guided setup, but there was no option for a new Digital line up, just the same 'RCN Cable' as my sole choice. From reading other postings from previous digital crush survivors, I'm worried that this is going to throw a monkey wrench into my Tivo's lineup. I'm leaving the Tivo at the 'getting program info' stage and will check again when I get home this afternoon, but I thought I'd post a thread to see if anyone else in Somerville, or other recent Digital Crush users, have had luck or disaster, and more specifically, if they had a new 'digital lineup' option for guided setup,

Ryan

2. wdpower

wdpower New Member

May 22, 2005
    West Palm Beach
    My brother is in Somerville too. We were talking yesterday and he told me about the change. He woke up and none of his TV's got any signal. He had basic and was using the TV's to tune. Poor choice of cable companies.

3. sirbob

sirbob New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    It is unfortunate that they didn't switch over the channels automatically. I was anticipating just waking up one morning to a Tivo service message with a huge list of channels deleted and added, not zero reception.

On a side note, I see in the new lineup we received in the mail that RCN is supposed to be getting Sci Fi HD, which is quite exciting, as that is one of the few channels I regularly watch. I can't find out any info on the RCN website as to when this is supposed to show up unfortunately, but it is exciting nonetheless.

Ryan

4. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Back in August, when I did the Digital Crush for RCN in Watertown, it was about as seamless as it could go. I had to reboot the Tivo twice (once to get the 9.3 Tivo upgrade, and then again to get the new channel lineup). Try re running guided setup, when it asks "Is channel XXX Station YYY?" say "No" until you get to a channel that is different on the new lineup vs the old one, that will force the Tivo to use the new lineup.

5. TLTypeS

TLTypeS Member

Dec 27, 2002

Advertisements

I was converted about a month ago in Needham and was problem free. Re-ran guided setup and was set. I just needed to add my premium channels Hd channels. With my experience, I really like RCN

6. Jenni Kirtley

Jenni Kirtley New Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I serve as tech support for a TiVo which lives in Brookline (this is what you get for giving one as a gift to a technophobe! :D) , which had the switch over last week. I've trained the box on the new line-up, but the guide doesn't list any premium channel above 399. Any suggestions?

-Jenni

7. sirbob

sirbob New Member

Apr 8, 2008
    If I do recall correctly, when I reran guided setup I was simply given the option between "RCN", "Comcast" etc. for the area. Upon choosing RCN, it then asked if I had any premium channels or not. Perhaps that was not there when you ran through originally?

My current problem seems to be that I have the right line up, with perhaps a couple of channels missing, however, it has dozens upon dozens of channels we don't receive on our current plan. I think since I wasn't given the option between 'basic' or 'extended' or whatever their terms are, I was just given the whole channel list, minus some of the extras like starz and HBO. I'm debated now on rerunning guided setup in a day or two and hoping I have choices between RCN lists, or just combing through the channel list myself and making my own corrected list.

Anyone else out there recently get options for RCN for selecting 'basic' and 'extended'?

Ryan