RCN-branded TiVo now available in DC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by nycityuser, Apr 19, 2010.

1. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY

Advertisements

The TiVo Premiere box made exclusively for RCN cable customers is now available to the Washington, DC market:

http://www.rcn.com/dc-metro/digital-cable-tv/tivo-in-dc

Not too bad at $19.95/month. No additional cablecard fee and RCN VOD is operable.

A monumental day for TiVo.

2. donnoh

donnoh Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Great day as long as it doesn't lock up like the first adopters of the Premieres have reported.

3. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    RCN has been testing it with some of their DC customers for several months so hopefully they worked out the kinks. They are only offering the old GUI until the new one can get fixed.

A test program was set up in their New York market last week.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I see that it supports RCN VOD. Out of curiosity, are they offering the VOD service to customers who own their own TiVos, or only to ones who rent through RCN?

5. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY

Advertisements

Only those who rent from RCN can use VOD. I don't know if they can technologically offer it to those who own their TiVo and use a cablecard.

6. parzec

parzec Wizard of Oz

Jun 21, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    cool...good for tivo

7. bschuler2007

bschuler2007 Frustrated owner

Feb 25, 2007
    This is what I am waiting for in my area. Tivo w/no commitment, I'm in! I'm wondering what changes RCN does to the GUI, etc.. If they messed it up even more with ads and channels you do not get (to order this channel, yadda yadda).

Overall, I'm extremely hesitant on the Premiere since my lil' brother's locks up all the time. And this sounds like a much safer bet.

8. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    I don't believe it is is technological limitation since they say it is the same hardware. It does have an RCN specific software load and pre-paired cable card, but that is more operations than technology. I think they just want to maintain control to keep support costs in line.

9. rv65

rv65 Member

Aug 30, 2008
    RCN will be using the SD UI until Tivo fixes the kinks of the HD UI.

10. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Less than nine months from announcement to roll out. Not bad. Great job TiVo and RCN. :up:

So does RCN sort out getting some kind of network connection to the box if the customer doesn't have one?

11. jondar

jondar New Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I believe at the moment they require that you have RCN's internet service as well to support both the guide updates and the VOD access.

12. nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    Do they put in a regular ethernet jack at the TiVo or do they use some network over coax or power solution? Presumably there's an extra charge for such things.

13. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Ex-Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    VOD will only work with TiVo DVRs issued by RCN. You will not be able to have your personal DVR made to work with their VOD service.

Yes, the RCN TiVo DVR will only be available to RCN customers who use RCN as their ISP. If you use another internet service provider, RCN will only provide you with their standard DVR.

14. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    Woah ... I guess no one can say anymore that the TIVO Premiere cannot support VOD. I wonder if the MRV is different .. not copy but streaming to avoid any issues with the CC Byte. I would seriously consider this if offered by Comcast.

15. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVoJerry did not say if the hardware on RCN TP/TPXL is identical to the retail TP/TPXL, and only the downloaded software is different. If the PROM is different that is hardware, as I have no knowledge that the PROM can be reloaded/updated from any TiVo downloads.

16. ghuido

ghuido New Member

May 8, 2007
    I can dream for it at Comcast. :)

17. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
    The MRV is copying, not streaming, and is subject to copyright protection. Right now RCN copy protects some of the premium suites: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel. They just started this a couple of months ago - they used to protect nothing.

18. nycityuser

nycityuser Member

Dec 30, 2004
    New York, NY
  19. Mike-Mike

Mike-Mike New Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    i wonder why they would keep blockbuster but not AVOD?

20. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Blockbuster would likely agree to any terms at all.