RCA DVR80 Problems

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by txbulldude, Jul 25, 2011.

1. txbulldude

txbulldude New Member

Jul 25, 2011
    I have been having the same old problems of it hanging up when I change channels or go to the guide. I restart it and it sometimes hangs at the welcome screen. All I found on it says replace the HDD. So I went and bought a refurbished WD 320 gig hdd. I used winmfs to backup the old drive and restore to the new drive. All seemed to go OK. Put the new drive in the box and plugged it in and get nothing. Tried putting the old hdd back in and still get nothing. The fan is spinning and the power light on front panel is green, but no signal to TV. Tried it on a different TV and same result. How long does it take to power up before I should get to the welcome screen. Can it take more than 2 mins or so?
    Any other ideas?

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    No - you should see something within 10 seconds.

3. txbulldude

txbulldude New Member

Jul 25, 2011
    OK so now it powered up and is stuck at the Welcome Powering up.
    How long should it be here or is this a problem. It has been 10 mins so far.
    This is with a new HDD. I put a copy of the old imaged HDD on it. Could it be the image is bad? If so where can I get a clean image?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If it is stuck on "Powering up", then the box is not successfully booting from the disk. Yes, it could be that the image was bad. You can buy "InstantCake" from dvrupgrade.com - expensive but at least you know what you're getting.

5. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...