RCA DVR80 Acting Very Strange!!

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by advproducer, Jul 6, 2006.

1. advproducer

advproducer New Member

Jul 6, 2006

Advertisements

First time post, so please forgive any "newbie mistakes".

I've got this unit hooked up to DirecTV as one of 2 TiVo machines along with a regular receiver.

A couple of days ago it began freezing up intermittently for about 1 second every 30 - 60 seconds. The remote would not operate the machine even though the light on both the remote and the box are lighting up showing signal. After resetting the box by unplugging in and then plugging it back in, it began working fine - until today...

Now, it is doing all of the above AND it re-boots itself without any provoking from me. It's done this about 8 to 10 times already this evening. Is it on it's last leg??

Question 2: If it is dying a miserable death, can I replace it with another TiVo unit instead of going to the DirecTV DVR? Does DirecTV still support TiVo boxes? I really like the TiVo interface and from what I've been reading about DirecTV's machine, it sounds like they just haven't quite figured it out yet.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

2. narnia777

narnia777 New Member

Jan 12, 2003
    I had an R10 that rebooted repeatedly. After a few days it fixed itself, so not sure what it was.

Directv will send out a refurbished just specify you want a tivo dvr since yours is a tivo. They may replace it as a leased unit though instead of one you own.

You may want to post in the Directv tivo forum.

Jim

3. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    The HDD is likely dieing.

DirecTV is still supprting DirecTV TiVo DVRs. DirecTV also works with Standalone TiVos, however you give up dual tuners, direct digital recording and digital audio, and pay TiVo directly their service fee or bundle fee.