RCA connectors - how to get multiple outputs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by ps56k, Mar 29, 2008.

1. ps56k

ps56k New Member

Oct 6, 2006
    Chicago...

Advertisements

I was looking at the Slingbox,
    and realized that the TiVo has it's RCA outputs that would get connected to the Slingbox RCA inputs, but then what for the actual TV with it's RCA inputs ?

I haven't looked around yet, but what do folks do to create basically a Y-splitter for the 3 common RCA connectors ?

ie - RCA output from TiVo ---> ?? ---> Sling + TV

2. etz

etz New Member

Sep 8, 2006
    My TiVo has 2 sets of RCA outputs. One set to the Slingbox.... one set to the Television set.

3. shpope

shpope New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    You could buy RCA Y Splitters. I have a set of three around somewhere. I'm assuming I purchased them at one of the following: Radio Shack, Walmart, or Best Buy. It was probably 5-10 yrs ago that I bought them, but they do exist. They have one male and and two female RCA connectors on them.

4. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ths is what I have and use... I've got 2 tivos a VCR and a PS2 connected to it then the units output goin to the TV.

Selector Box

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Boone. IA

Advertisements

I bought 4 or 5 of these, from radio shack long ago. The model that replaced it added svhs outputs to the rca outputs.

The outputs are always live, and its ac powered.

6. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    You NEVER use RCA Y splitters on the yellow video line. It'll work for the audio just fine, but the video gets messed up royally if you split it.

If you think you've been doing this successfully, check out what your picture is like without the splitter being involved. The difference is like day and night.

To split the video, you need a powered splitter, like the one Edmund links to.

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.

Ummm....

If I'm reading that right, that's a SWITCHBOX, a "selector", not a multiple output device.

The switchbox will allow several devices to connect to a single device, but only one at a time.

The OP is trying to connect to multiple devices AT THE SAME TIME.

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well I tried to help, guess I didnt fully understand him or I read his post to quickly.

9. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    I'm pretty sure the Slingbox Classic has composite/S-Video and audio outputs - so you can just install it between your Tivo and your TV.

10. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Boone. IA
  11. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Didn't etz already answer this? :)

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    :up:
    Your TiVo and every other TiVo ever made.

[​IMG]

13. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Boone. IA

The model I originally linked to hasn't been made in over 7 to 8 years.

14. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002
    OK? :)

15. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Don't the TiVos with DVD recorders (or players) have only one set of composite/audio outs?

16. Edmund

Nov 8, 2002
    Boone. IA
    I thought etz was a mistake, didn't realize it was a forum member sorry etz :eek: and you were refering to me. :)

17. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The TiVo HD only has one set of composite outputs.

[​IMG]

19. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yep. DVD players had just one. I had a RF modulator to broadcast the TiVo/DVD around the house and at that time just a composite or COAX input TV. I bought a set of MONSTER composite splitters from best buy cause they had really good specs (only Monster thing I ever bought)
    and there was zero difference on the TV with the splitters or without.

Used it for about 18 months till I bought a TV with component in and no longer needed the splitters.

20. Xyrax

Xyrax New Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Like one of the previous posters mentioned I think all Slinboxes have an audio and video pass through. My Slingbox Pro has a set of output connections and the classic documentation details that it too has a set of output (pass through) connections so chances are all Slingboxes have the pass through functionality.

[edit] Just check the documentation for the Slingbox SOLO and Slingbox AV. It looks like the only slingbox WITHOUT a set of output connectors is the Slingbox AV. So, as long as you DON'T get the Slingbox AV you should be fine.