Rbautch's Folder Script & Question

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by Markman07, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1 of 108
    Markman07

Markman07 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota

Advertisements

I noticed today in the All Tivo and Dtivo Files forum on the DDB site that our friend Rbautch has posted a new / updated folders.tcl script file. This script when run allows you manage your tv programs and the folders they reside in. Check it out

I wasn't sure where to post questions in direct relation to it so I came back here not only to share the news but to ask a question because of my issue running it.

It sounds so easy! So I download and FTP it to my Enhancements folder. I telnet to the box and am ready to rock. I run the script. It prompts me to enter 1, 2, 3
    ------
    "Please select from the following:
    1 Add show(s) to an existing folder.
    2 Change the name of a folder.
    3 Remove a show from a folder.
    Enter the number corresponding to the action you want to perform:"
    -------------

No matter what number I try (1, 2, or 3) and pressing enter. I get an error message saying I need to enter 1, 2, 3! So I shake and slap my head thinking "huh, now what am I doing wrong?" Here I thought I finally was an expert with most whole numbers :-D Any ways....

This box is a Series 2 Zippered DTivo. So with the risk of embarrassing myself by asking a possibly dumb question, What am I doing wrong when it comes to entering a number 1, 2 or 3?

Sincerely,

ME

2. Nov 6, 2006 #2 of 108
    beejaycee

beejaycee New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    N'Awlins
    I've not used the update script but it might be that your telnet program is entering extraneous information with the carriage return, a common problem I think if you are using the MS Windows telnet. From START/RUN, I use
    where xxx is the last 3 digits of my IP address. Hopefully that makes sense. I've had a similar problem in the past and this helped me.

3. Nov 6, 2006 #3 of 108
    Markman07

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Yes I learned about the telnet issue shortly after learning about the zipper. (long ago now) I actually set up a telnet.ini to always use the "unset crlf" So that doesn't appear to be the problem in my case :-(

I also tried PuTTY and same result.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #4 of 108
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Still sounds like terminal settings. Try running this batch file on your PC, and try it again from a regular dos command window. Also make sure you invoke the script with
    Code:
    tivosh folders.tcl 

5. Nov 6, 2006 #5 of 108
    Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth MRV Junkie

Jun 14, 2005
    Fountain, CO

Advertisements

Instead of messing with the Windows utility, why not use something such as PuTTY (it's free)?

6. Nov 6, 2006 #6 of 108
    MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Definitely something with your terminal program; works fine with Terra Term Pro. Also, you can just run it like:
    Code:
    ./folders.tcl
    From the directory it's in.

Cool script, BTW!

7. Nov 6, 2006 #7 of 108
    Markman07

Jul 18, 2001
    Minnesota
    Yog-Sothoth read my last post 2:43PM ..I did try pUtty!

I have used other apps via Telnet on my Dtivos with no issues but I will see what I can figure out in this case.

---------
    Update - the batch file corrected whatever was causing my issue. Thanks again Rbautch and everyone else who had suggestions.

8. Nov 8, 2006 #8 of 108
    willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Russ, gave this one a test drive tonight. Works great.

9. Nov 8, 2006 #9 of 108
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Cool.

10. Nov 8, 2006 #10 of 108
    LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    I definitely like it and works great on 6.3a. Only things that bug me are either a result of the way TiVos handle grouping/grouped objects.

If I want to move a show from a folder back to the root level do I move it to folder "" (without quotes)?

11. Nov 8, 2006 #11 of 108
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    To move a show to root level you atually have to remove it from the folder, using option 3.

12. Nov 8, 2006 #12 of 108
    willardcpa

willardcpa QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Feb 23, 2001
    Eugene, OR USA
    Now that this thread has some "legs" is there a way to start up a "new" folder. I MRV'd some programs to a "server" DTivo that is not hooked up to the sat, some of the shows are pretty old, and they ended up single file, instead of in a folder. Even though they came out of a folder on the source box.
    I've got a box with 200+hrs that has signs of HD failure, so I transferred all of the shows over to the "server" before it is too late. But now I've got a now showing list umpteen pages long. :D

13. Nov 8, 2006 #13 of 108
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Tivo doesn't like the creation of folders from scratch, but there's a way around it. Tune your tivo to an episodic show that you would never usually watch - like The View. Record a few seconds of it, then stop recording. Then start recording it again, then stop - this should create a folder called "The View". Then use folders.tcl to change the name of the folder and add your shows.

14. Nov 9, 2006 #14 of 108
    cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    So let me make sure I understand what this new utility does.

I can move shows around that are on my tivo in to different folders. IE. when I use tivoserver to transfer shows from my pc to my tivo they will not go in to a folder they show up all seperately, I can use this utility to organize them in to a folder?

Thanks

15. Nov 9, 2006 #15 of 108
    thepackfan

thepackfan Member

May 21, 2003
    Plano, TX
    Yep, it works great for organizing kids shows

16. Nov 9, 2006 #16 of 108
    dishdudes

dishdudes New Member

Mar 19, 2006
    OK I FTP'ed it up telneted in and get this..

livroom-bash# sh folders.tcl
    folders.tcl: EnableTransactionHoldoff: command not found
    folders.tcl: puts: command not found
    folders.tcl: flush: command not found
    'olders.tcl: line 40: syntax error near unexpected token `
    'olders.tcl: line 40: ` }
    livroom-bash#

Any ideas? Tried 2 diff Tivos, so I missing something here..

Thanks.

17. Nov 9, 2006 #17 of 108
    MungoJerrie

MungoJerrie Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Yup, you might want to read posts 4 & 6 which provide the syntax for properly running the script in tivoshell (tivosh - not sh)!

18. Nov 10, 2006 #18 of 108
    Chopper Dad

Chopper Dad New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    I'm a relative newbie to all this, but reading the thread made this pretty straightforward, and it works quite well. I'm delighted! I did have to make sure the tivo partition was writeable by telneting into it (I use PuTTy) and - using the "shortcut" Russ provided in his enhancement script - doing an 'rw' at the bash prompt. Without that, I couldn't successfully ftp the 'folders.tcl' file into the '/enhancements' directory. Once those 2 things were done - running Russ' 'rw' shortcut for 'writeability' and ftping the file over, it was simple to 'cd /enhancements' and run the app. (per posts 4 & 6: either 'tivosh folders.tcl' or './folders.tcl'.

I know it's been said many times before, Russ, but thank you so very much for all your hard work and generosity in doing what you do. Not only have your contributions provided me a fairly straightforward way to hack my Dtivos so as to radically improve their functionality, but they've re-stimulated an almost dormant interest in Linux, and I'm having a truly delightful time!

And to all you others who've contributed so much - far too many to list - a big round of applause to you as well!

CD

19. Nov 10, 2006 #19 of 108
    rbautch

rbautch User

Feb 5, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You're welcome!

20. Nov 11, 2006 #20 of 108
    Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Best tivo utility since tivoserver.