Rats, TiVo made me update the iOS app

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by UCLABB, Jan 21, 2019.

1. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    wouldnt let me log in on the old version of the app. Might have worked if I changed the password, but I went ahead and did the update. I liked the old one better, but the new one will do when I get used to it. I do most all my stuff on the app rather than on the box.

2. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Ugh I have an iPad mini that won’t let me update past 9.2. Which I wouldn’t care so much about, since I use it just for downloading shows. But now I can’t update to the new Tivo app...so I can’t use it anymore!

3. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Search for some refurb iPad minis. I bought one for my kid whose home button on his mini broke. It was fairly inexpensive.

4. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Good idea... it’s time. Does a fire tablet work as well with the app? Those are pretty cheap too

5. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I have the older app on my phone and unable to login. I despise the new app, waste of screen real estate. I have protected programs downloaded that are of course no longer available to DL. New app won't allow you to schedule a recording of a show already on device (i.e. secondary protected content).

Guess I'm going to have to update and lose that content. Still no manual recording function.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    When you mention 9.2, you're talking about the iOS version, right?

Original iPad (non-Retina) mini can go up to iOS 9.3.5.
    Be careful. I'm looking at ‎TiVo and it says that requires iOS 10. Original iPad mini (see iPod, iPhone & iPad Specs By Apple Model Identifier: Everyi.com) can only go up to iOS 9.3.5. Looking for refurbs or used ones of those won't help if she wants the current version of TiVo app.

She'll need a mini 2 (aka Retina mini) or higher. Those can go up to iOS 12, but it, the mini 3 and iPad Air are the next to line to be dead-ended by Apple (no more updates beyond iOS 12). It's possible iOS 13 won't support them. iPad mini 4 (overpriced as new for outdated hardware, per iPad mini 4 (Wi-Fi Only) 16, 32, 64, 128 GB* Specs (A1538, MK6K2LL/A*, 2824*, iPad5,1): EveryiPad.com was introduced in Sept 2015) will likely be supported for longer.

7. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Good info. I’ve got an iPad Air. I guess I’d better plan to upgrade in the not too distant future.

8. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    Damn, had been holding out in my iPad. The old ap works so much better, is cleaner and easier to use.
    Was having trouble logging in, and worried this might be the problem.

gigaquad likes this.
  9. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    It's an educated guess. When iOS 11 came out, the iPad 4 was left behind and stuck on iOS 10.x.x. See Maximum iOS Version for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch: Everyi.com. iPad 2, 3 and non-retina mini got stuck on iOS 9.x.x.

When iOS 12 came out, all iOS 11 devices could run iOS 12.

10. Scooter Scott

Scooter Scott Member

Jun 1, 2015
    I can't stand the new app. It isn't very functional for the most common things you do with the app.

11. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    I'm going to look at a Amazon Fire tablet. Those are so much cheaper and hopefully will do the trick, since all I ever used the mini on was downloading Tivo shows and bringing it with me to the gym

12. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    I still don’t understand the rats role in forcing you to upgrade the app. ;)

13. d_anders

d_anders Sr Legacy Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Twin Cities...
    Amazon App store has the TiVo app available (haven't tried it), but it's essentially the Android app, so I'm not sure how it differs from the IOS app. If you want to run the most recent true Android app, you will want to backload the Google APK files and GooglePlay which there instructions available in multiple locations.

14. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Thanks! I just ordered the fire tablet 8 for $50. Not bad!

15. Kurs0010

Kurs0010 Member

Nov 9, 2016
    Weird, so now the app is working like normal on my old iPad mini!

cwerdna likes this.
  16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I agree with most of what you guys are saying about the *UI* of the old app being far far better.

The one good thing I can say about the new app is that it VERY VERY rarely has a connection problem. The old one would to this VERY VERY often to me... even in my home on my home network. (and ironically, turning off WiFi would _sometimes_ work around that problem)

The new app _very rarely_ still seems to get 'stuck' downloading to do list or now playing.. in that it is showing me a blank list... But (1) that happens MUCH MUCH less frequently, and when it does, I can workaround it by (2) switching to another tab and back, or switching between Tivos and back.. Again, annoying, it should work better than that.. but still far far less bad than the old one was for me in terms of disconnecting.

Though I almost ever only use the app for tidying to do list (manually working around conflicts or deleting items caught by my too-greedy wishlists) or once in rare while schedule a recording or delete a show I watched elsewhere. That's because show downloading has always been broken for me (even with a separate stream). In both cases (built in or separate stream), the stream itself seems to be crashing based on the content it's downloading. I really wish I could contact someone technical at Tivo and get them useful info.. This is largely why I pay for Hulu, since tivo downloading doesn't work for me.

17. bellbm

bellbm Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Chicago
    My IPad ap is working again tonight. Glad I didn’t update.

I have the new ap on my iPhone
    - I was streaming from it this weekend, and it worked ok. But then eventually I started downloading, and as I was playing back while the show is downloading, it would pause every minute or so and I had to stop it and start it again.

18. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    Crap! I was just using the new app and bitching to myself that it sucked. The swipe to delete is sorely missed. Many more key strokes required to accomplish what the swipe does.

If only I had waited another day and not updated!

19. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Exactly. The new app is a nightmare. It's like someone that knows nothing about Tivo decided to make an app that is the most unintuitive thing they could come up with over the course of a month.

20. samccfl99

samccfl99 I Am Sometimes Vocal

Sep 7, 2013
    coconut...
    Not that this is any help, but that would never happen with an Android, since we have the ability to back things up and restore an older version, something that they should change in IOS. Well, for rooted phones anyway...

I am so Bored with these threads that I am resorting to making comments on things like this...:rolleyes::D.

What is Tivo, Inc doing? Not much in the way of updates...ON THE TIVO ITSELF...:rolleyes::D