Random channels go black on TIVO HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by DrDatabase, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Oct 26, 2007 #1 of 140
    DrDatabase

DrDatabase New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    SoCal

Advertisements

I'm experiencing a wierd problem with my tivo hd. It has OTA and m-stream cable card installed on Cox Orange County Ca. Firmware is 9.2

All the correct channels display fine in the begining but over time I'll lose random channels (only cable not ota). They aren't part of a particular tier of premium or HD channels but a truely random selection. Some could be basic cable channels along with a mix of premium or HD channels.

I can sometimes get a non-performing channel to display if I repeatedly change to that channel from a lower numbered channel.

When I do a system reset all the channels work again for a day or two. Then I'll start the cycle over again with a random mix of channels not displaying any picture or sound.

I don't know if its the m-card, some wierd cable issue, flaky firmware or a bad tivo unit.

Has anyone out there experienced anything similar?

2. Oct 26, 2007 #2 of 140
    bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Are the channels you lose analog or digital? Or both?

3. Oct 26, 2007 #3 of 140
    csgraber

csgraber New Member

Feb 7, 2006
    I have TimeWarner NE Ohio.

I suspect that I may have the "random channels" going black, but I know mine aren't random.

As you may know you have encrypted and non-encrypted digital channels. The non-encrypted will never go black (I forget which ones, but they include DIscovery HD, local HD channels, and the just normal channels like comedy) - your selection may vary.

The black channels are unlocked by your cablecard. If something happens. . .and the cable card doesn't "refresh" correctly it can loose the encrypted channels - and they go completely black.

I restart my tivo and it seems to refresh the cards correctly. I usually check showtime every sunday just to make sure I get Dexter that evening :)

Please note - mine doesn't happen That often (twice in the last month). My guess it is a combination of signal quality and something your cable company is doing.

4. Oct 26, 2007 #4 of 140
    shanebowman

shanebowman New Member

Oct 9, 2005
    Winston...
    Wjhile I am on Time Warner and can only get S Cards, I experience the same thing everytime the ********cable company upgrades their lineup. I don't notice until soomething does not record. Time Warner is putting all of their new HD on a switched format so cable cards can't get them so it is extremely frustrating as the new programming is of no use to me. TIvo evidently does not recognize the update since the channels are not available, but it makes random channels go black. A reboot fixes it until the next update.

5. Oct 26, 2007 #5 of 140
    pedz

pedz New Member

May 13, 2007

Advertisements

I am experiencing the same problem as the original poster, I have a series 3. There is a set of channels that regularly go black (comedy central, TNT HD, and some others) and I have to do a reset to get them back, and the reset always works. But it happens every couple of days. I was waiting for 9.2 to see if that made a difference, but I have 9.2 now and it is still happening. It is very frustrating.

Any thoughts will be appreciated. I will probably call TIVO this weekend if it persists (now that I have 9.2).

Thanks,
    peter

6. Oct 26, 2007 #6 of 140
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    H'mm. I spotted a similar problem with my second THD this morning -- some of the encrypted digital channels would not tune. There are two CCs in that unit, and the two tuners differ in which channels they can't tune.

I'll try a reset when I get home from work tonight and see if that clears it up.

7. Oct 26, 2007 #7 of 140
    DrDatabase

DrDatabase New Member

Mar 15, 2003
    SoCal
    It can be a mixture of encrypted and non-encrypted channels and both digital and standard analog channels are equally affected. I definitely think the problem lies more on the Tivo end of things. I too will start my complaint process with Tivo. If they hear from enough of us these might work on a fix.

8. Oct 26, 2007 #8 of 140
    macizoe

macizoe New Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Northridge, CA
    I am having the same problem with one of my Series 3 units. Channels go to black, if I restart the unit they come back. It seems to be happening a lot on the HD network feeds. and just started in the last few weeks. I am on Time Warner in Northridge, CA.

9. Oct 29, 2007 #9 of 140
    j_edge

j_edge New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm having the same problem on Time Warner Austin, TX. I've been experiencing it for the past 6 months or so, but it has seemed to get a lot more frequent in the past month. I had just decided to call Time Warner since it always seems to be on CableCard 1 (the bottom slot) to see if they could swap that one out when I thought I'd do a search just to see if I'm the only one and found this thread. For me it is just specific channels, like the HD Network channels. The Tivo doesn't seem to notice anything is happening as it will show as recording, however the arrow does not move (and nothing is actually recorded). Other channels work fine when this happens and the only ways I've found to fix it are restart the Tivo or eject the card and reinsert and let it reacquire the signal. Nothing out of the ordinary in the diagnostics screens, signal strengths appear to be the same as the other card, etc.

So has anyone heard anything from Tivo regarding this issue, or had luck just replacing their CC(s)?

-j-E

10. Dec 9, 2007 #10 of 140
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    having a similar issue, but a reboot does nothing. Affected channels are all in the analog tier (but are being digitally simulcast). Cable co came out, line is fine and m-card SA box can tune the channels fine. Anyone hear anything from TiVo?

11. Dec 10, 2007 #11 of 140
    pcsmith811

pcsmith811 New Member

Sep 26, 2005
    same thing happens to me (series3)... cox in AZ. it's pretty annoying and I lost a couple recordings this week because of it.

is this a cable company issue or Tivo issue?

12. Dec 10, 2007 #12 of 140
    steinercat

steinercat New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    same problem here.

1 month old THD.

Cox Las Vegas.

ABC HD was blacked out most of the day yesterday. Reboot, restart, on/off, cables....did NOT solve the problem.

Woke up this morning. ABC HD back in action. go figure!

*using HDMI.

13. Dec 10, 2007 #13 of 140
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I think my issue might be related to deployment of ADS in my area.

14. Dec 10, 2007 #14 of 140
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    For those with the problem, have you verified both CableCards are still authorized properly?

15. Dec 10, 2007 #15 of 140
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes still verified. I get all premium channels, just not a few analog ones that are now being simulcast digitally.

16. Dec 10, 2007 #16 of 140
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Did you test through the Test Channels menu? You can't verify by changing channels because the first CableCard gets used when none are in use. Also, did you verify the Auth for both cards in the CableCard menu?

17. Dec 10, 2007 #17 of 140
    yroca

yroca New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Also seeing this in Phoenix. Cox is my provider. Although, I do remember getting a few postcards in the mail from them regarding upgrades to equipment in our area and possible interruptions in service.

I forced a reboot yesterday and the missing channels came back.

I have a TivoHD with single M-Card.

18. Dec 10, 2007 #18 of 140
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Yes. And verified on both cable cards. And yes both cable cards are authorized. All black screens are tuning successfully according to Diagnostics. I believe if the cable cards were not authorized I would not be getting premium channels or that some simulcast channels would display correctly while some give the black screen.

I seem to be unique (in this thread) in that reboot does not bring anything back. I'm guessing in my instance that the mappings for the cable cards aren't right or they are using SDV for some of the simulcast. Don't think it's the SDV as the channels that aren't coming in are fairly popular (Comedy Central, Sci Fi). In either case I suspect Brighthouse networks, but can't say for sure. Their SA boxes with M-Cards tune fine.

19. Dec 10, 2007 #19 of 140
    bigray327

bigray327 New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Same problem. Comcast in Houston, M card.

20. Dec 10, 2007 #20 of 140
    dig_duggler

dig_duggler Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Does a reboot (temporarily) fix it?