Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares (BBCA) 1/24/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gunnyman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...

Advertisements

I'm so glad the original is back. I'm ready to forget the horrible Fox version now.
    Gordon knows his stuff and I've never seen a more belligerant restaurant owner than Allan Love. Is he some washed up British stage star?
    Anyway, good episode.

2. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    I looked him up on IMDB, looks like he was more active in the 80's and not very much at that.

3. Neenahboy

Neenahboy Statistical outlier

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Oh, you guys are in for an awesome season...the best of the series by far, IMO. I should really set up a SP to watch them again.

4. Haps

Haps eh?

Nov 30, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I just got turned onto this show last week. My wife was watching some show on BBCA and left to go do something. I was on the computer and RKN was on after her show. 5 mins in I was hooked(Think it was the Morgan's episode).

Ramsay makes me laugh all the time. I haven't enjoyed a show this much in a long time.

5. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006

Advertisements

My only regret is that he can't churn these shows out fast enough! If he stopped making the crap US version of this show, he'd have a lot more time for episodes of The F Word and RKN!

I watched a recent "live" show he did in the UK where he got people to make a three-course meal along with him in an hour. IMHO, it's worth hunting out if you're a Ramsay fan, but be warned that it's not beeped out! ;)

6. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    I would love one of the networks here to pick up the reruns of the RKN. Like what (IT hink) NBC is doing picking up Dexter.

7. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It's CBS, actually. :)

8. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and they're only doing that because of the writers' strike and the shortage of new scripted shows!

Highly unlikely that anyone will pick up reruns of RKN as they're shown ad nauseum on BBCA.

9. vikingguy

vikingguy New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Awesome start to the season. It only reminds me of how bad fox botched the american version.

10. devlindark

devlindark New Member

Jul 19, 2005
    I don't know why all of you hate the Fox version so much seems to me it's the same show just not in The UK. I love when he goes off on the people in the UK version though because even though they bleep it you get the feel for how he is and how he takes a no holds bared approach to getting through to people. Other than that I enjoy both of the series equally

I especially love the fact that people on both shows in the UK and US resist him so much
    only to realize that he is right! I mean dam what did have him come there for in the first place. He's only Gordon Ramsey I world class chef with several high end restaurants
    all over but he doesn't have a clue about your place that for dinner for 2 might cost say $60 yet at his thats just the appetizer

11. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    The fox version was like Hell's kitchen, the diners were obviously "hired" there were confrontations that were obviously staged, and the narrator was completely unnecessary.

The BBC version is more polished, it feels more realistic.

12. montag

montag New Member

Mar 10, 2001
    BBCA=Real

FOX=Fake

BTW, anyone else see the commercials (I know, I know) for Last Restaurant Standing which premiere's in early February..the 12th I think.

13. TonyTheTiger

Dec 22, 2006
    Not sure that BBCA is totally real. There's a lot going on that we don't see. It's just we (the Brits) are better at it!

The main difference for me is the visit later, so we actually see how the changes affected the business.

14. Olly

Olly New Member

Sep 29, 2001
    Wirral, UK
    Yes I think there is a lot of preparation and research done beforehand as there is no way you could get a restaurant dining room refurbished or a kitchen replaced overnight without a little planning.

However, in my opinion the British version is so much better in structure and presentation. I get the impression that the American version is put together in the editing room from a pile of clips in some random order. It's like watching a series of events without a story hence the need for a narrator to try and make some sense of it all. In the Brit version Gordon tells the story.

Oh and don't get me going about the need before an ad break for showing highlights of what might be coming up after this (or maybe the next) break and then after the break for telling us what happened before the break!. Crazy.

15. marksman

marksman ID-10-T

Mar 4, 2002
    Yeah I think people are getting carried away between the two versions and what is and is not real.

Also notice that he re-did the interior of the restaurant. I think the reason the shows come across differently is mainly because of how they are edited. The UK version focuses on the Owner/Kitchen almost exclusively and the US version focuses on the entire restaurant.

The UK restaurants don't have any customers just like the US ones. I am not sure what makes any of you think that somehow in a week they magically manage to attract a legitimate audience, they go out and recruit them just like they do for the US show.

I am sure the little old lady who told Gordon to F himself just was walking through that area (!?@@!?!) and decided to stop in for a quick bite.

Some of you are giving credit to the UK show that it is really not due. I enjoy them both and I think the UK show is put together better, but at their foundation the shows are almost identical.

16. dmlove51

dmlove51 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I never even knew there WAS a British version, but now I've got a Season Pass, and there are at least 8 episodes scheduled. Can't wait to see it.

17. JaneiR36

JaneiR36 New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    No way am I signing up for digital stations just to see the British version of a show that I happen to love very much. No got dang way. :D

(Holy crap there goes another $15/mo :D )

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets TCF Bookie

Jul 12, 2005
    East Hell
    I think that the BBC and the Fox versions are very similar.

I also think that Ramsey may have become overexposed to me, because watching his shows isn't nearly as interesting to me now.

19. Neenahboy

Apr 7, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    No. Just...no.

20. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Ramsay has two different television personalities. The two personalities are best exhibited on The F Word and on Hell's Kitchen. In The F word, Ramsay is more friendly and jovial, on Hell's Kitchen he's a screaming hardass.

On RKN, he's much closer to this F word personality. He doesn't take **** from the restaurant staff, but he's still mostly friendly. On Fox KN, he's much more like he is on Hell's Kitchen. He's more likely to scream at the staff, and there always seems to be a confrontation that's over the top.

BTW, I also noticed "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares Revisited" on the guide. Are those just reruns of previous seasons, or are is there some new material?