R54080 Series2 -- Setup w/o Land Phone Line?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by EliWho, Sep 18, 2007.

1. EliWho

EliWho New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    I am thinking of buying a tivo to replace my old replaytv. The R54080 is on sale at Buy-dot-com.

However, I once bought a tivo in the past, only to find out that it could not be setup without a land-line phone (which I don't have). I do have an in-home wireless network, and can easily buy any adapters I may need.

There are lots of posts about determining whether you can do this by looking at the serial number on the unit, but I'd rather avoid purchasing it altogether if it can't be set up without a landline. So: Does anyone know if the Tivo R54080 Series2 has the software needed to be setup and used without ever having a land-line phone connection?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    You should go to www.dvrupgrade.com. Enter your model number and see if they have an Instantcake and PTVnet for your unit. The two programs combined do exactly what you want. It allows you to disable the phone line and communicate through the internet. They are good people and will answer any questions you have.

3. EliWho

EliWho New Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Travis, thanks for the help. I don't know what those are, but I guess I can google. Looking at the site, they don't have an exact listing for Tivo R54080 -- the closest I can find is TiVo TCD540080/140. Is that the same thing?

Also, they seem to have an Instantcake (under Software) but *not* a PTVnet. Where do I go from here?

Thanks for any help you can provide. As you can tell I'm an *extreme* tivo newbie but am trying to join the club!

4. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    EliWho,

Welcome back to the TiVo Community!

Running Initial Guided setup with an ethernet adapter is possible, but you have to get a specific wired adapter to make it work. Try this link for a list of compatible adapters. It also depends on the software version in the TiVo. It has to be at least 7.2.2. If you get an "old" software version, you might be out of luck. But you can't determine the software version number until after you run guided setup, so keep that in mind. :)

I've had great success running initial guided setup with the LinkSys USB200M version 1 wired ethernet adapter.

Also, make sure you plug in the adapter before powering on the TiVo. Sometimes if you don't do this, the adapter is never recognized by the TiVo for initial guided setup purposes.

Good luck,
    robomeister