R15 Initial setup

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by allyrand, Jun 18, 2007.

1. allyrand

allyrand New Member

Jun 14, 2007

Advertisements

I just received a new R15 unit from Direct TV to replace my old unit that I have had for years..I am using Vonage which worked fine on my old set up. My question is...do I need a land line to do the initial setup?...or should I try running it thru Vonage first....thanks for all your help..this forum is awesome for information

2. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    The R-15 forum at DBSTalk is located here. They don't like fielding questions for other DVRs here.

3. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    This forum IS awesome for answering TIVO device questions. Your R15 does not use any version of Tivo software.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    This forum provides information to all users of DVR's be they Tivo powered, or in house powered.

Why do we not start a Directv Thread similar to dbs. Instead of turning everyone away to the DBS Forums?

I know I am commiting a Sin by talking about Directv DVR's but come on people. Maybe its about time this Forum turned more towards the actual users... the people.

5. disco

disco Father of Sam.

Mar 27, 2000
    Lake...

Advertisements

(quick answer to your question, though: no line is needed with the R15, landline or otherwise. Just tell D* that the box IS plugged in, and you'll be fine)

6. SullyND

SullyND W: 45-31 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Because the owner of the board asked that the R15 not be discussed here.

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  8. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    hmmm... last time I checked, this site is named TIVOcommunity.com, not DVRcommunity.com

9. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Now thats just great coming from someone with 2 Directv/Tivo units.

Maybe the Forum should be called DIRECTV/Tivo.com

I know I know, if anyone says something good about a Directv unit and not a Tivo unit then we are all cast into the pits of H*ll themselves.

Be it a Tivo, Directv, Charter, Comcast whatever DVR everyone gets benefits of these Forums. Or perhaps we have become so closed minded that we have forgotten whats these Forums are really for. Helping and answering questions of those who are looking for help.

:D

10. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I know how to set up an R15.

Sell it on eBay, buy a DirecTiVo on eBay, then hack it and watch shows you actually wanted to record.

11. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    :D ;) :thumbsdown: R15 :thumbsdown: :up: Directivo :up: Nuff said!!

12. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    no no no
    take the "free R15" pull out its hard disk.
    get a dtivo off ebay
    zipper the 160 gig drive from the R15
    place in dtivo
    enjoy.

13. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    I am going to help set up an r15 you will need some tools first get one of these [​IMG] than one of these [​IMG] than get one of these [​IMG] and your done :D :up:

14. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    You're right, you have forgotten what these forums are really for (assuming you ever even knew).

15. simonton

simonton New Member

May 30, 2003
    uh oh... just went for the r15 free model deal....... thinkin i might have to go for the scavenging the hard drive idea......

16. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    The scavenging the hard drive idea may be all good now, but wait until later on when you drop Directv and they want their "Leased" unit back... what are you going to tell them....

"Um I got some real good advice from the Tivo Forums to take the HD out".

So your "FREE" R15 is not going to be free after all when you get stuck with a large CC Bill to actually pay for the unit :D

17. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    If he dropped DTV then he would have no use for the DTivo and would put the HD back in the R15 and send it back to DTV. They'll just refurb it anyways and never know.

18. wolflord11

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    Perhaps. But in doing this, you would need to open the Box, which Directv would be aware of, and then upon putting the HD back in, re-install the Software that the R15 uses. Which would mean getting a hold of the Software and all that.

If you want to do all this, then not a problem. But its worth alot more bother than what its worth.

19. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I thought the R15 did not need to have an image for it. I think there is some combination of buttons that you can press as it loads up to reset the drive for use in the unit. I could be wrong but that's what I have done with a few units that I have tested with.

20. ttodd1

ttodd1 Proud Computer Geek

Nov 5, 2003
    SC
    Oh please, DTV would never know or care. Do you really think it would bother them to get a device back that had no software on it. All they want is the device back so that they can refrub it and send it to the next guy. That's like sending them one that was broke. I do agree a whole lot of effort involved but if you are hard pressed to keep Tivo then maybe not. And I am also with Magnus, I think it puts the software on the drive.